The Elementary and Early Childhood Education Programs provide instruction for undergraduate and graduate teacher candidates in the theories, methods, and materials relating to learning by young children. In addition to teaching subject matter content, the faculty places emphasis on candidate mastery of techniques and strategies for integrating technology into the teaching of language arts, reading, social studies, mathematics, science, movement and artistic expressions to a diverse population of students. The faculty also conducts research and provides professional services to schools, community agencies, and to professional organizations and associations.
The elementary and early childhood education curricula are designed to develop efficient teachers, principals and supervisors who will have ...
1) The professional knowledge skills and dispositions necessary to provide high-quality instructional programs to pre-kindergarten through sixth grade students who are preparing for life in the 21st century;
2) A sincere commitment to the teaching profession as a career of service to students, families and the larger community;
3) A thorough understanding of children;
4) An interest in guiding youth to higher ideals and standards of living;
5) A motivation and life-long commitment to grow professionally;
6) A philosophy of life that will help them to enrich their own lives and influence others in achieving optimum growth and development.
The program offers both undergraduate and graduate degree programs. The graduate programs in Elementary and Early Childhood Education are extensions of programs leading to the baccalaureate degree and Class B certification.
The advanced level programs offering master of education degrees are for students who are interested in becoming master teachers, as well as for students who hold undergraduate degrees in other fields and are seeking teacher certification under an alternative master’s degree program.
Course experiences and practicums are designed to give students a more thorough knowledge of recent practices and research in the field of education.