Please read the guidelines for this service posted below the form. Thank you!
Ask-a-Librarian is an email version of the reference service offered by the Alabama A&M Librarians at the LRC. In responding to these requests, priority will be given to AAMU affiliated students (including distance learning students), faculty and staff. You must have a valid email address to receive a response. If you are an AAMU student, faculty or staff you can also receive basic instruction on using the electronic resources of the LRC such as databases and electronic journals via this service.
We will respond to your question within 24 hours for questions received Monday through Thursday when Alabama A&M classes are in session. Holidays may extend the response time. If you need a faster response, call 372-4712 during the library's open hours.
What sort of questions may I submit to Ask-a-Librarian?
Ask any question you would ask over the phone or in person:
Brief factual information (e.g. addresses or phone numbers of businesses or organizations, a historical fact or date, the source of a quotation)
Information about the Alabama A&M Library collections and services
Help on the use of our online catalog and reference sources
Assistance in completing bibliographic citations
Guidance on beginning library research for a term paper or class project.
In some cases we might give you the answer. In other cases, we'll direct you to a source, or suggest that you come into the library to do your research.
What type of requests are we unable to fill through Ask-a-Librarian?
1. We do not take interlibrary loan requests at this service. We can answer questions about these services, or you can call the Interlibrary Loan department at 372-4728 or you may submit a request via THIS LINK.
2. We do not renew materials for you from this service. You may call the circulation department at 372-4723.
3. We do not offer copying or printing services.
4. Responses to questions that require searching on microfilm.
5. Creation of extensive bibliographies on a topic.
6. We cannot answer questions requiring legal or medical interpretation.
Guidelines pertaining to the questions submitted to our services:
1. We reserve the right to refuse to answer questions.
2. We may refuse services to you if we determine you are not using these services in the way they were meant to be used. For example, we will refuse to answer questions that are illegal, harassing, libelous, threatening, harmful, or obscene, as well as questions that violate local, state, national, or international laws or regulations.
3. You agree that your question will enter the public domain, and you will retain no ownership rights to your question [your question will, however, remain confidential].
Who answers the questions?
Librarians from the LRC answer your question.
Although Alabama A&M Library attempts to protect your privacy, under the federal USA Patriot Act (Public Law 107-56), records of the books and other materials you borrow from this library may be obtained by federal agents. The federal law prohibits library employees from informing you if federal agents have obtained records about you.
All reference transactions are confidential. Please be assured this information will not be shared, sold, etc., outside J.F. Drake Memorial LRC. For statistical purposes we may keep track of the questions, and of the number of users, but we will not retain specific information about the users. Transcripts may be kept for a period of time to help us evaluate our service and with collection development.