Over the course of our history, the university has progressively moved forward, but never has AAMU been more innovative, energetic and connected than it is today. Under the leadership of our current administration and in partnership with our alumni and the community of Huntsville, Alabama A&M is poised to take the next step in achieving excellence for those it serves.
In keeping with this spirit, leadership at AAMU identified investment opportunities that will support the university's desire to realize greatness for its students and faculty and to make a significant difference throughout the state and across the nation. In June of 2012, university leadership requested that the J.F. Smith Group – an independent fund-raising firm – conduct a feasibility study to assess the attitude of AAMU's constituency toward its bold vision for the future.
Equipped with positive feedback from the study, we embark on this crucial venture. With a campaign working goal of $16.25 million, Imagine the Future: The Campaign for Alabama A&M University seeks funding for the following projects:
· Opportunities for Students ($8M) - Scholarships and fellowships aid in student recruitment and retention, which in turn increases the number of graduates who go on to successfully contribute to the community, region and state. With $5.6 million in endowed funds, AAMU can provide an additional $280,000 in scholarship and fellowship awards each year. The other $2.4 million will increase funding in support of immediate, need-based scholarships.
· Faculty Enhancements ($3M) - Investing in endowed faculty positions helps AAMU compete nationally for distinguished professors and lecturers at the university. A $3 million endowment fund will provide approximately $150,000 each year to attract, retain and recognize these individuals
· Technology ($2.25M) - Smart Classrooms are technology enhanced classrooms that foster opportunities for teaching and learning by integrating learning technology, such as computers, specialized software, audience response technology, assistive listening devices, networking, and audio/visual capabilities. A $2.25 million investment will allow AAMU to equip 60 to 80 technology enhanced classrooms on campus.
· Athletics ($2M) - Enhancing AAMU's athletics facilities will create an enhanced competitive atmosphere for our student-athletes, our coaches and our dedicated fans. Renovations planned include: a new scoreboard in Louis Crews Stadium; a reserved seating balcony in Elmore Gymnasium; new lights, press box and restrooms at the baseball and softball fields; and a new weight room for Olympic sports.
· Facilities ($1M) - Bibb Graves Hall was constructed in 1929 and is in dire need of upgrades. Restoration of this building - including projects such as renovation of the bathrooms and the auditorium, a new elevator cab, a new cooling tower, upgrades to the flooring, lighting and ceiling tile, and new furniture - will preserve the great history of AAMU.
Imagine the difference we can make in the future of our students. PLEDGE NOW
President Hugine's Subsequent Campaign Statement:
“Alabama A&M University was founded on a vision of imagining a future for young men and women that would be better than those of their predecessors. Today, we remain committed to that original vision and chartering a future for tomorrow’s youth that prepares them for global citizenship in the 21st century. Please join us in helping to actualize “Imagine the Future” through your support of the capital campaign.”