Graduate Psychology Frequently Asked Questions
General Frequently Asked Questions
- How long does it take to obtain a master's degree in Counseling Psychology at AAMU? It usually takes a student at least 5 or 6 semesters (two years) to complete the program if you attend classes in the summer.
- Does the program offer certifications? Our program does not offer certifications, but the Rehabilitation concentration prepares students to site for the CRC (Certified Rehabilitation Counselor).
- Do you offer online classes? Most of the classes offered are met on-campus. Usually there are 1-2 online classes offered per semester (classes vary).
- What are the requirements to enter the program? Admission guidelines can be found in the Graduate Catalog. Please see link from our resources page for the most up to date information. Our program requires a 2.8 GPA (one a 4.0 grading scale).
- What concentrations does the program offer? The program offers the concentrations of: Clinical , Counseling, School Psychology, and Rehabilitation.
- Does your program have a M.S. in Clinical Psychology? No, our program is a Masters of Science in Counseling Psychology and you are able to follow the Clinical concentration as you matriculate through the program.
- What do I need in order to enter the School Psychology Program? You must have a Class B teaching certificate and 2 years of teaching experience.
- When can I take the Comprehensive Exam? You may take the Comprehensive Exam after completing 30 hours of coursework.
- When must I start the thesis? If you decide to do a thesis, you must attend the thesis workshop and prepare a thesis proposal before the end of the second semester of enrollment.
- Where can I find job opportunities on campus? There are Graduate Assistantships opportunities on campus in various departments. Contact the departments to see if positions are open, and contact Graduate Studies office for more information.
- Are there scholarships offered for graduate students? Yes, there are scholarship opportunities for graduate students. You must complete an online application to apply. The application can be found on the AAMU Student Financial Aid and Scholarships web page.
- How can I get involved in research? Contact faculty to see who is working on research and see if you can work with them.
- Where can I find updates and announcements? You can find updates and announcements on our Facebook site (Alabama A&M Psychology and Counseling).
Practicum and Internship FAQs
- Where can I find internship opportunities? Internship opportunities can be found in our Practicum/Internship Handbook found on our school website:
- Can I take Counseling Practicum and Internship in the same semester? No, as these are both internship courses, you are not able to take both courses in the same semester. You have to take one EACH semester.
- Where can I get a TB Skin/Drug Test? The TB skin test and the drug test can be done on campus at the Student Health and Wellness Center.
- Where do I turn in my Comprehensive Exam, Practicum/Internship Application, or Graduate Application? You may turn in all these applications to the department Administrative Assistant in Carver Complex North 219.