Members of the Alabama A&M University Family:
You are well aware that Section 16-49-20 of the Code of Alabama, which contains a portion of the enabling statute which governs Alabama A&M University, created a nominating committee to select a list of three persons to submit to Governor Robert Bentley as candidates to fill vacancies which may occur on the Alabama A&M University Board of Trustees (“Board”). At the request of Governor Bentley, the Nominating Committee is being reactivated to receive nominations and make recommendations to the Governor to fill a vacancy on the Board of Trustees for Alabama A&M University.
The vacancy to be filled relates to the position representing the Fourth Congressional District as constituted on September 5, 1975. This vacancy on the Board was created by the resignation of Mr. Neal G. Morrison. His term was set to expire on January 31, 2016. This appointment will be for the balance of his term.
In our effort to ensure a fully open, inclusive and transparent process, we are opening the nomination period to search for and select three (3) nominees for this vacancy on the Board. The time within which the Nominating Committee must act is short. We encourage all interested individuals to apply, or nominate a qualified individual, by submitting a nomination letter, resume and any letters of support through one of two methods:
1. submit all nomination information electronically (click here); or
2. submit nomination information via hard copy (if you do not have access to the Internet or e-mail) to the Board’s Attorney Rod Steakley at Sirote & Permutt, PC, ATTN: Ms. Alicia Ford, 305 Church Street, Suite 800, Huntsville, Alabama 35801, Telephone: 256-518-3607, Fax: 256-518-3681.
Please note that your nomination letter, resume and any letters of support must be submitted and received by 5:00 p.m. CST on April 24, 2015.
The Nominating Committee is looking for influential leaders who are forward-looking, service-oriented and committed to furthering Alabama A&M University’s instruction, research and extension missions. After we receive nominations, the Nominating Committee is currently scheduled to meet on April 27, 2015 to select nominees. The Nominating Committee may receive names from any source. If the Nominating Committee elects to have further meetings or to conduct interviews in connection with this process, these dates will be announced at a later date. The Nominating Committee consists of one member from the Alabama A&M University Board of Trustees, one member of the Alabama A&M University family selected jointly by the Faculty Senate and the Staff Senate, the president of Alabama A&M University’s Student Government Association, a representative designated by the President of the Huntsville-Madison County Chamber of Commerce, a member of the Madison County Legislative Delegation as selected by the delegation, the president of the National Alumni Association, and a community representative selected by other members of the Nominating Committee. The Nominating Committee will select three individuals for the vacancy to submit to Governor Bentley with the goal to submit names to the governor by April 30, 2015.
Please review the following requirements applicable to those that apply or are nominated to serve on the Alabama A&M University Board of Trustees:
• For the Fourth Congressional District position, must be a resident of the district (as constituted on September 5, 1975) for which application is made
• Cannot be an employee of Alabama A&M University, other than the faculty senate president
• Cannot be a member of the Board Nominating Committee
• Cannot be a member of the governing board (this does not preclude reappointment of current trustees),
• Cannot be an officer of any public postsecondary educational institution, and
• Cannot be an elected or appointed official having the power of review of the Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical University budget, other than the Governor
If there are any questions, please contact the Board of Trustees’ Attorney Rod Steakley c/o Alicia Ford at 256-518-3670 or email@example.com. I am honored to serve as Chairman of the Nominating Committee. Thank you for your assistance as we work diligently to select the men and women who will contribute to moving Alabama A&M University forward, thereby ensuring its effectiveness and long-term viability.
Alabama A&M University Board of Trustees
Chairman, Alabama A&M University Board of Trustees Nominating Committee
[ See original document with signature here ]