"Rocketing into the Future!"
1) The 2012 Homecoming Parade will be held on Saturday, 13 October 2012 Downtown Huntsville, Alabama. AAMU Parade Sub-Committee must receive entry applications by close of business on Monday, October 8, 2012. All applications received by e-mail will be acknowledged with an e-mail or telephonic response on the day/week of receipt. Make sure all FAX applications have a Point of Contact (POC), if you want a response to your Application.
2) All organizations that would like to participate in the parade must enter a Float or Marching Unit. No Cars, No SUVs, No Trucks, or Motorcycles will be allowed. A Decorated Flatbed Trailer can be considered a Float.
3) The parade held during the homecoming celebration of Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical University is designed to highlight the uniqueness of the institution. Entries must be for the express purpose of enhancing and promoting the university, and must, therefore, comply with the established guidelines.
4) ALL parade participants must read all information carefully, complete the parade application, sign the Release from Liability Statement and forward application as requested. Ensure all required information is provided, this will ensure that your application is processed as quickly as possible.
5) All parade entries must have a sign or banner that identifies their organization and incorporates the Homecoming Theme or a sign or banner that supports Alabama A&M University. Banners must be attached to Float. Off-campus organizations and businesses that would like to participate must display signs and banners that reflect their support for Alabama A&M University Homecoming.
6) All parade participants are responsible for the safety, operations, and conduct of their entry. The parade committee is not responsible for providing vehicles, performing maintenance on vehicles or providing decorations for your entry.
7) All vehicles used to pull Floats must be decorated with a sign or Banner. All vehicles must be CLEAN and in good running condition. Vehicles must have at a minimum, a magnetic sign to identify the organization and should have additional decorations to show school spirit and to incorporate the Homecoming Theme.
1) Equestrian units are allowed in the parade; including Horseback Riders and
Horse Drawn Carriages.
2) Each Equestrian unit must provide their own clean-up crew.
3) Equestrian units must have prior parade experience and verification that the horses are safe and healthy enough to complete the Parade route without medical assistance.
Parade Line-Up and Parade Route will be located Downtown Huntsville at LOT K. on corner of Woodson Street and Holmes Avenue. The Parade will exit Lot K onto Holmes Ave, proceed east on Holmes Avenue to Monroe Street, Turn left on Monroe Street to Spraggins Street, Turn right on Spraggins Street to Clinton Avenue, Turn Right on Clinton Ave and Return to LOT K.
1) ALL floats must incorporate an Alabama A&M University Homecoming Theme into their design. The Theme for Homecoming 2012 is: ”Rocketing into the Future.”
2) To qualify as a float, an entry must be skirted, and all objects on it must be completely decorated in sheeting or its equivalent.
Bands, Dance Teams and Marching Groups
1. Band Bus Parking will be designated at the parade Line-up Site. Band Buses will follow the parade and link up with Band Members at the Morrison Fine Arts Building located on the campus of Alabama A&M University. Bands are asked to minimize Personal Vehicles for Chaperones. Chaperones are recommended to ride the Band Bus. Parking for Band Chaperones in their personal vehicles is limited. Please help parking situation by minimizing the number of Band Chaperone vehicles.
2. Dance Teams Members and Marching Groups should link up with all of their personnel before arrival to Line-up site. Organizations are responsible for coordinating with their personnel before arrival to line-up site. Dance Teams will not be allowed to have a car, truck, or SUV as part of their entry.
3. In accordance with Huntsville City Parade Ordinance, Section 18-101, Title: Special Events, all units including marching bands, dance troupes, and so forth must maintain forward movement. Dance teams may not stop the parade for a performance. If a Marching Unit stops the parade, they will be asked to move along or be removed from the parade.
Parade Restrictions and Safety Guidelines
1. No Motorcycles, Cars, Trucks or SUVs - Due to local and state safety
restrictions, no motorcycles or Motor Cycle group applications will be accepted for this parade.
2. No CANDY or any other items may be thrown from a moving vehicle, float nor thrown from a Marching Unit. Marching Units can hand out candy along the parade route. To ensure that children are not running into the parade route, in front of moving vehicles and horses. This rule will be strictly enforced by the Huntsville City Police Department.
3. No person or persons will be permitted to ride on top of their car or on the hood. No drivers will be allowed to drive with feet extended out of the window or with their feet on the dashboard. Drivers will not be allowed to exit their vehicle once parade starts, especially while the vehicle is moving. Any unsafe act(s) observed by Huntsville City Police may be cause for removal from the parade site.
4. No Political Campaigning. AAMU Homecoming Parade is not a platform for addressing public, political or private issues. No political campaigning will be allowed, no distribution of political material, no entries for political reasons will be allowed. All politicians must obtain university officials' approval before entrance is granted for the parade. Political leaders/political organizations that are approved for entry into the parade must address Alabama A&M University themes, and/or acknowledge the celebration of the university’s achievements or unique heritage.
5. No alcoholic beverages may be consumed or displayed before or during the parade.
6. No Stopping the Parade for personal performances. In accordance with Huntsville City Parade Ordinance, Section 18-101, Title: Special Events, all units including marching bands, dance troupes, and so forth must maintain a forward movement. Units may not stop to perform anywhere along the route, there is no performance area or stage for this parade. This ordinance is repeated throughout the guidelines to ensure compliance.
7. Any violations of the stated guidelines could result in the removal from parade, arrest by Huntsville Police Department and the exclusion from future participation in AAMU Homecoming Parades.
Note: Please fill out the Parade Application, Sign the Release Statement and submit for Approval.
You may save your application to your desktop and e-mail your application to email@example.com OR print and fax to (256) 372-5637.