Welcome to the Civil Engineering Program
Civil Engineering is the oldest of the traditional engineering professions. It is devoted to the improvement of the human environment for the purposes of making our activities productive, safe and enjoyable, while providing aesthetically pleasing surroundings. Civil engineers plan, design, construct and maintain physical works and facilities that are deemed essential to modern human life. Civil Engineering includes the broad categories of construction, structural engineering, soil mechanics and foundation engineering, transportation engineering, water resources and hydraulic engineering, environmental engineering, surveying and mapping, city planning and municipal engineering.
The Civil Engineering program at Alabama A & M University provides a general academic background in civil engineering while allowing a student to concentrate on a specialized area by selecting one technical elective course. The program leads to the Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering (BSCE) degree and provides basic courses in all of the following areas:
(1) Structural Analysis and Design
(2) Geotechnical Engineering and Design
(3) Environmental Engineering and Water Resources
(4) Transportation Engineering and Design
In addition, advanced courses in the above areas are
offered as electives. The program prepares its students for immediate
entry into the engineering profession as well as into graduate studies.
The objective of the Civil Engineering program is to produce graduates who, after the first few years of their graduation, have:
(1) Successfully practiced civil engineering in industry and/or government,
(2) Continued to pursue lifelong learning through professional development or completion of advanced studies (graduate degree, short courses etc.), and
(3) Recognized the need for scholarship, leadership, and services to society.
The Civil Engineering program is fully accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://www.abet.org.
For more information on the Civil Engineering program, financial aid and career opportunities, contact us today.