Assistant Professor of Chemistry
Alabama A&M University
Office: Carter Hall, Room 407
Phone: (256) 372 - 4931
Dr. Okweye specializes in Water Quality and Ecosystem Modeling. His current research interest involve tracking the fate and attenuation of endocrine disrupting chemicals (EDCs) and pharmaceutical and personal care products (PPCPs) in ambient waters, and in depositional sediments. The major thrust of his PhD research was applying hydrologic principles to fundamental problems of chemical pollutions in surface water environments. Of particular interest are influence of urbanization and changes in land use/water cover; and prediction of risks of heavy metal and synthetic organic pollutants to human health and benthic organisms in Flint Creek and Flint River Watersheds of Northern Alabama.
1. Okweye , P, Garner, K. F. , and Tsegaye, T. D , 2011. Evaluation of Total Recoverable Metals in Surface Water of the Lower Tennessee River Basin (manuscript under peer review)
2. Okweye, P., K. Golson-Garner, C. Forte. 2011. Evaluation of Drinking Water Quality in Triana, Alabama: Impacts on Health and Wellness. Chemistry/Environmental Sciences. Alabama A&M University STEM Day/AAS Meeting. May 20, 2011.
3. Na-Asia, E; K. Golson-Garner; Okweye, P. Removal of Copper Contaminant from Industrial Wastewater by Chemical Precipitation. 2010. Civil Engineering/Chemistry. Alabama A&M University STEM Day/AAS Meeting. Mar 31 – April 1, 2010.
4. Okweye, P. 2009. Assessment of Water Quality for Selected Chemical Pollutants in Surface Water and Sediments of the Flint Creek and Flint River Watersheds of Northern Alabama. Ph.D. Dissertation. Alabama A&M University.
5. Okweye, P., T. Tsegaye, and Karnita Golson-Garner, 2009. Comprehensive Water Quality Assessment and Database Development. 25th Annual Meeting of the Alabama Fisheries Association. Auburn Hotel and Dixon Conference Center. Monday, February 23.
6. Okweye, P., and T. Tsegaye, 2009. Heavy Metal Concentration in Surface Soils of the Flint Creek and Flint River Watersheds: An Index Analysis Approach. USDA-CSREES National Water Conference, St. Louis, MO.
7. Karnita Golson-Garner, Okweye, P., and Teferi Tsegaye, October 5-9, 2008. ASA-CSSA-SSSA International Annual Meetings. Pesticides Levels in Water, Soil, and Sediment of the Wheeler Lake Basin. George R. Brown Convention Center, Houston, Texas.
8. Okweye, P., 2008. ACS International Annual Conference. Distribution of Selected Organochlorine and Organonitrogen in Surface Water of Wheeler Lake Basins in Northern Alabama. New Orleans – November.
9. Okweye, P., Tsegaye, T., Golson-Garner, K., 2007. Distribution of Heavy Metals in Surface Water of Wheeler Lake Basin in Northern Alabama. Journal of Environmental Management, Volume 3, Number1, ISBN: 1542-7102, pp. 91-100.
10. Golson-Garner, K., Okweye, P., Tsegaye, T., 2007. Spatial and temporal distribution of heavy metals in surface water of Indian Creek watershed. Journal of Environmental Management, Volume 3, Number1, ISBN: 1542-7102, pp. 101-110.
11. Okweye, P., 2007. USDA-CSREES National Water Conference. Application of Inductively Coupled Plasma-Optical Emission Spectrometry to Determine Selected Trace Metals in Wheeler Lake. January 28 to February 1, Savannah, Georgia.
12. Golson-Garner, K., T.D. Tsegaye, Okweye, P., W. Tadesse and S. Dennis. 2007. Spatial and temporal distribution of heavy metals in the Indian Creek Watershed. J. of Environmental Monitoring and Restoration. 3:101-115.
13. Okweye, P., T. Tsegaye and K. Golson-Garner. 2007. ICP-OES determination of heavy metals in surface water of Flint Creek and Flint River Watersheds. In Proceedings of the National Conference on Agricultural and Natural Resource Conservation and Management pg. 11-12. 22-24 February, Delaware State University, Dover, Delaware.
14. Golson-Garner, K., Okweye, P., Tsegaye, T., 2007. National Conference on Agricultural and Natural Resource Conservation and Management. Impact of Hydro-Geological Conditions on Heavy Metal Concentrations in Surface Water, pg. 12. February 22-24, Delaware State University, Dover, Delaware.
15. Okweye, P., T. Tsegaye, K.F. Garner. 2007. The application of Inductively Coupled Plasma – Optical Emission Spectrometry to determine selected heavy metals. In Proceedings of the USDA-CSREES National Water Conference, January 28-February 1. Marriott Hotel, Savannah, GA.
16. Golson-Garner, K., T. Tsegaye, Okweye, P., W. Tadesse, M. Wagaw. 2007. Occurrence and Distribution of Heavy Metals in Surface Water of the Huntsville Spring Branch Watershed. The 99th Annual Meeting of the American Society of Agronomy (ASA-CSSA-SSSA). 4-8 November. New Orleans, LA. In. Am. Soc. of Agronomy, Madison, WI.
17. Okweye, P., 2007. ASA-CSSA-SSSA International Annual Meetings. Distribution of Selected Chlorinated Herbicides in Surface Water of Lower Tennessee Basin in Northern Alabama. Houston, Texas ACS conference – November 4-8.
18. Okweye P., T.D. Tsegaye, K.F. Garner and D. Spencer. 2006. Distribution of Selected Organochlorine and Organonitrogen Pesticides in the Flint River and Flint Creek Watersheds of North Alabama. p. 191. In Abstracts of the 14th Biennial Research Symposium of the Association of Research Directors. 1-5 April. Atlanta, GA.
19. Golson-Garner, K.F., T.D. Tsegaye, Okweye, P., Coleman, T and Tadesse, W. 2006. Water Quality Assessment in Sub-Basins of North Alabama. The 98th Annual Meeting of the American Society of Agronomy (ASA-CSSA-SSSA). November 12-16, 2006, Indianapolis, IN. Am. Soc. of Agr. Madison, WI.
20. Book Publications: General Chemistry Laboratory Manuals, 1st , 2nd , and 3rd Edition in press. ISBN 0-534-62340-9, 2005. Publishers: Thomson/Brooks/Cole
a. Dr. Okweye was awarded a certificate of recognition by the Alabama Cooperative Extension System for his efforts in planning and organizing the recently concluded and highly successful Earth Day celebration on Alabama A&M University campus on April 22, 2010. The activities were co-sponsored by Wal-Mart and Legacy: Partners in Environmental Education.
b. USDA-NIFA Reviewer Honorarium-2010
c. Dr. Okweye was awarded a NIFA Travel grant for $1000.00 for the Grantmanship Workshop expenses (travel, registration, lodging, etc.) January 25-26, 2011 in Washington, DC.
d. Dr. Okweye received an Invitational Request to Present and Serve on a Panel at the recently concluded 2nd Symposium on Sustainable Environmental Practices at College and Universities in the Southeast by the USEPA (Region 4), ATL., GA - June 5-7, 2011.
Research Funding (2009-present):
USDA/AUBURN. (Co-PI). Assessing Water Quality and Rural Farm Management Practices to Minimize Aquatic and Terrestrial Disruptors. ($25,000). Submitted November, 2009. (Not Funded).
Watershed-Based Environmental Decision Making on Climate Change Impacts on Microbiological Water Quality and Public Health (SAES-USDA-NIFA); Co-I (PI: Dr. Tsegaye); ($501,000.00) (Funded)
Undergraduate Research and Mentoring in Environmental Biology at Alabama A&M University (NSF); Research Mentor for Chemistry Unit (PI: Dr. Sharma); 2010-2015. ($1,000,000.00) (Funded)
NOAA Center for Climatological and Environmental Studies at Alabama A&M University (Enhancement of Student Educational Training in Selected Physical Science Curricula (NOAA- EPP- MSI)); Co-I (PI: Dr. Tsegaye);. ($15,000,000.00) (Pending)
Contaminated Drinking Water in Triana, AL: Impacts on Human Health and Wellness (Evans-Allen); PI (Co-I: Dr. K. Golson-Garner); 2010-2013. ($20,000.00) (Funded)