Skip to content

Disability Services FAQs

  • Whom should I contact for information about services offered to students with a disability?

    Office of Disability Services
    Health & Counseling Center 
    Voice: 256–372-5601
    Fax: 256-372-5599

    Back to Top
  • How do I know if my disability will entitle me to receive special accommodations from  Disability Services?

    If you have a documented physical or mental impairment, you may be entitled to special accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA). Under the ADA, a disability is defined as a “mental or physical impairment which substantially limits one or more major life activities.” Walking, eating, talking, breathing, writing, listening, learning, and etc. are all examples of major life activities.

    Back to Top
  • What does 'substantially limited' mean?

    A person can be substantially limited in performing a major life activity if they are:

    • unable to perform the major life activity, or
    • significantly restricted as to the condition, manner, or duration under which the activity can be performed when compared to the average person or most people.
    Back to Top
  • What does the Access to Learning Program do for students with disabilities?
    The Access to Learning Program provides reasonable accommodations and services to qualified students with documented disabilities who are enrolled at Alabama A&M University. These services are provided in accordance to Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the applicable titles of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990.Back to Top
  • What are 'reasonable accommodations and services'?
    Reasonable accommodations and services are special modifications made for a qualified student with a disability in order to meet his/her educational needs. Examples of reasonable accommodations may consist of, but not limited to extended time for exams and quizzes, preferential seating arrangements in the classroom, reader for exams and quizzes, alternate format materials (e.g., audio tape, large print, etc.), spelling aid, and/or priority registration. Back to Top
  • How will I know what type of accommodation(s) I will receive?

    Accommodations are determined by the Office of Disability Services. Counselors will meet with the student, review documentation from the qualified professional(s) who diagnosed your disability, and discuss current class requirements. Instructors are notified of accommodation request by a Letter of Accommodation each semester.

    Back to Top
  • What is a Letter of Accommodation?
    The Letter of Accommodation is developed with you once you have been determined eligible to receive services through Disability Services. This Letter of Accommodation contains the specific modification(s) which you may need for that class. It does not contain your diagnosis. Your diagnosis is CONFIDENTIAL.Back to Top
  • Will my academic advisor and instructors know that I have a disability?
    Disability documentation is kept confidential. It is retained in the office of Disability Services which has limited access. You are the person who informs your instructors if you need accommodations, by taking a Letter of Accommodation from our office and discussing it with them. It does not contain your diagnosis, testing, or background information. You do not need to discuss your disability with your academic advisor or instructors. If someone inquires, please refer them to the Office of Disability Services.Back to Top
  • How do I get my Letter of Accommodation changed if it does not meet my needs?
    An appointment with the Office of Disability Services is required to request a change in accommodations. If deemed necessary, additional documentation may be needed to determine if request is considered a reasonable accommodation for the documented disability.Back to Top
  • If I request accommodations, do I have to get them in every class that I am enrolled?
    No. You will identify the instructors to be notified. However, accommodations will not be provided by instructors who have not been informed. The obligation to accommodate begins with your presentation of the Letter of Accommodation identifying specific modifications. Accommodations are not retroactive.Back to Top
  • How soon should I come to the office of Disability Services?
    It is recommended that you schedule an appointment one week after classes begin. Letters of Accommodation will be provided at the conclusion of the meeting. Students are encouraged to schedule an appointment with each instructor notified to accommodate and discuss specifics concerning modifications.Back to Top
  • Who do I contact if I have a problem or concern about receiving my accommodations?
    You should contact the Office of Disability Services at (256) 372-5601. They will act as a liaison between you and the instructor(s). Problems that are unresolved will be handled by Disability Services in conjunction with the Vice President for Student Affairs (VPSA). The decision of the VPSA is considered the university’s final response.Back to Top
  • Can I lose my accomodations?
    Yes. Students who knowingly falsify documentation risk loosing accomodations which can result in a Student Code of Conduct Violation 2.0 for dishonesty, forgery, fraudulent acts, and/or misrepresentation.Back to Top