Alabama A&M University’s (AAMU) mission of academic advising is to assist students in using the educational programs of the university to meet their needs, enhance their abilities, and achieve personal education and career goals consistent with the University’s mission. Academic advising supports the three-fold function of teaching, research, and public service. The advising process assists in providing a setting conducive to the emergence of scholars, leaders, thinkers and other contributors to society. Successful advising contributes to developing mature and self-directed students, capable of making appropriate decisions and becoming lifelong learners.
AAMU Academic Advising Model
Split Model Academic Advising Model – two-step advising process here at Alabama A&M University. Freshman students receive advising through the Freshman Academy. Upper class students are advised by a faculty member within the student’s academic discipline.
Goal of Academic Advising
The goal of Alabama A&M University’s Academic Advising is to assist each student in following an individualized plan through a specific curriculum, allowing each student to meet his or her personal, professional and academic goals.
AAMU goals of academic advising were developed using the National Academic Advising Association’s advising guidelines. AAMU’s Learning Outcomes for Academic Advising are:
- Make effective decisions concerning one’s degree and career goals
- Develop an educational plan and select courses each semester to progress toward fulfilling your goals
- Demonstrate an understanding of Alabama A&M University’s core values as expressed in its Mission Statement, its general education requirements, and one’s chosen course of study
- Utilize the resources and services on campus to assist one in achieving your academic, personal, and career goals
- Make use of campus resources as needed
- Effectively utilize advising software to assist one to graduate in a timely manner based on one’s educational plans.
The University-Wide Academic Advising Plan
The University-Wide Academic Advising Plan is a resource manual for all Academic Advisors on campus. Download the University-Wide Academic Advising Plan.
Academic Advising Centers
In order to view PDF files on your computer, you must have a PDF reader program installed. If you do not already have such a reader, you can download a free reader at Adobe's website: Download Adobe Acrobat Reader Software