Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical University (AAMU) is a historic, student-friendly and community-focused institution of higher learning. Reflecting on its heritage as a historical black college and university (HBCU) and a traditional 1890 land-grant institution, AAMU functions as a teaching, research and public service institution, including extension. Founded in 1875 by a former slave, Dr. William Hooper Councill, AAMU is a dynamic and progressive institution with a strong commitment to academic excellence. The serene, intimate campus is situated on “The Hill,” only a short distance from downtown Huntsville, the site of the school’s founding.
Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical University provides more than 60 undergraduate, graduate and certificate programs and concentrations, a diverse international faculty, 50 plus student organizations, and an extensive alumni network comprised of politicians, educators, entrepreneurs, doctors, lawyers, engineers, scientists, authors, artist, and more, many of whom are change agents on the local, national and international stage.
The university’s academic curriculum is organized into four colleges:
- College of Agricultural, Life and Natural Sciences (CALNS);
- College of Engineering, Technology and Physical Sciences (CETPS);
- College of Education, Humanities and Behavioral Sciences (CEHBS); and
- College of Business and Public Affairs (CBPA).
Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical University is pleased to be nationally-recognized and our most successful graduates are proud to cite AAMU as a major factor in preparing them for their achievements in life and in the workplace.
- President: Dr. Andrew Hugine, Jr. (pronounced hugh-guinea)
- Founded: 1875
- Location: Huntsville, Alabama
- Undergraduate Tuition and Fees for Alabama Residents: ~$10,000 annually
- Employees: 800 staff and faculty
- Registered Student Organizations: 50+
- Colleges and Schools: 4
- Mascot: Bulldog
- Colors: Maroon and White
Mission & Values
Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical University is a public, comprehensive 1890 Land-Grant institution, committed to access and opportunity, and dedicated to intellectual inquiry. The application of knowledge and excellence in teaching, research and service is responsive to the needs of a diverse student population and the social and economic needs of the state and region. The University offers contemporary baccalaureate, master’s, educational specialist and doctoral level degrees to prepare students for careers in the arts, sciences, business, engineering, education, agriculture and technology. As a center of excellence, the University is dedicated to providing a student-centered educational environment for the emergence of scholars, scientists, leaders and critical thinkers, who are equipped to excel through their contributions and leadership in a 21st century national and global society.
The vision of Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical University is to be recognized as the premier Land-Grant institution of choice for students, faculty, staff, and future employers of its students. The University will be recognized nationally and internationally for excellence in teaching, research, outreach, exceptional academic programs and globally competitive students.
Values and Priorities
- STUDENT CENTERED The University strives to promote the intellectual, physical, social, and emotional development of students in all facets of University life.
- EXCELLENCE The University is committed to excellence in all aspects of operations.
- INTEGRITY The University maintains the highest standards of ethical professional practices in all that we do.
- ENGAGEMENT The University extends its reach and impact through partnerships and collaboration with individuals, public and nonprofit agencies, community activist groups, educators, and businesses.
- CUSTOMER SERVICE The University provides respectful, polite, and consistently excellent service to our internal and external constituents.
- GLOBAL The University prepares globally aware and astute students for the 21st century.
- DIVERSITY The University respects and embraces diversity and actively supports efforts that create an inclusive learning environment.
- ACCOUNTABILITY The University is a responsible steward of the public’s resources and public trust.
- Enhance AAMU's Distinctiveness and Competitiveness
- Strengthen Structures, Operations, and Systems to Promote and Support Organizational Excellence and Stewardship
- Upgrade University Infrastructue and Facilities
- Secure the University's Financial Future
- Enhance the University's Image and Recognition
- Enhance University Engagement through Expanded Outreach