Financial Aid Status FAQs
- What do I do if AAMU has not received my FAFSA?
Go to www.studentaid.gov and determine if you indicated Alabama A&M University as the school you want to attend. AAMU's school code is 001002. Keep in mind that after completing your FAFSA, it takes 3-5 business days for our office to receive it. Also note that the name spelling, date of birth, and social security number submitted on your FAFSA must match your application to AAMU.Back to Top
- I’ve been told to check my status on Banner Self –Service. How do I get to Banner
To Access Your AAMU Banner ID and PIN Number
- Go to the AAMU home page: https://www.aamu.edu
- Click on the myAAMU link
- Click on the small ―+‖ box next to Banner
- Click Lookup Banner ID and PIN
- Enter your last four (4) digits of your SSN.
- Select Month, Day and Year of your Birth Date.
- Enter your last name.
- Click "Show me my Banner ID/PIN number" button and your information will
display on another screen.
- How do I check the status of my award once I log into Banner Self-Service?
In order to view your financial aid status, your award and/or accept your financial award, you will need to access your online student account.
*Contact the IT Help Desk if you require assistance with accessing your online student account. They can be reached at 256-372-4357.
- Go to www.aamu.edu
- Click on myAAMU in the top right corner of the page
- Click on the Current Students button
- Click on Banner Self-Service button
- Sign in to Banner Self-Service using your Banner ID and Banner Password
- Select Financial Aid tab
- Select Award tab
- Select Award for Aid Year (and choose Current Semester)
- Click on Accept your Award Offer
- Under Accepted Award Offer, you have the option to accept full or partial amount. You also have the option to decline the award offer.
- Accept a partial amount by selecting Accept and entering the amount in the Accept Partial Amount field.
- I have been awarded loans and I have accepted them, is there anything else that I need to do?
- My award consists of a Parent Loan (PLUS). How do I accept the award?
- Parents choosing to take advantage of the plus loan option must visit www.studentloans.gov and complete the Parent Plus Loan application. The parent will need to sign in using their FSA ID Username and Password. Note that this is a credit based loan.
- If approved, the parent MUST to complete the Master Promissory Note (MPN).
- If denied, and the parent chooses not to pursue the Plus loan further, the student’s unsubsidized loan will be increased. The parent also has the option to use an endorser (cosigner). Parent MUSTcomplete the Master Promissory Note (MPN) and PLUS Counseling.
*Must be the biological or adoptive parent or the spouse of the parent whose income and assets were reported on the FAFSA.Back to Top
- How much can my parents apply for in the Parent Loan (PLUS)? What are the requirements?
The maximum amount that your parent can apply for will be indicated in the student’s award as Direct Parent PLUS loan offer. A parent must not have adverse credit history in order to be eligible.Back to Top
- Are there any options to pursue if my parent is denied the PLUS Loan?
If your parent is denied the Parent PLUS Loan, you can qualify for additional funding from the Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan Program. ($4,000 annually for Freshmen and Sophomores and $5,000 annually for Juniors and Seniors).Back to Top
- How can I determine if I will have a remaining balance after my financial aid is applied?
- How can I determine if there are additional funds available? How do I apply?
Your financial aid award will include all forms of aid that you are eligible for. There is limited funding in the, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG), Federal Work Study and other discretionary programs.Back to Top