AAMU Women in STEM
NSF-ADVANCE partnership Grant
AAMU received three-year subcontract award from The University of Alabama at Birmingham to implement The Alabama ADVANCE Partnership for Achieving Gender Equity in STEM. This project is aimed at increasing the participation and Advancement of Women in Science Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) by focusing on previous research data and literature concerning gender, racial and ethnic equity. Additional partners include the University of Alabama in Huntsville, Miles College and Oakwood University.
The goals of the partnership are:
- To implement institutional changes in practices and policies that inhibit gender equity and inclusion in STEM at partner institutions. By gender we mean gender in terms of social identity, and
- To increase the representation and visibility of women, racial, ethnic minorities and other social identities in STEM departments by improving recruitment, retention and promotion practices and policies.
Partnership Activities at AAMU
- Establish an ADVANCE Office,
- Sponsor department chair and search committee training,
- Conduct seminars on unconscientious bias, career development and spouse/partner relocation,
- Host annual statewide ADVANCE Conference.
AAMU ADVANCE Partnership presents STEM Leadership Workshop by Dr. Linda Liang entitled "Identifying Your Communication Style to Lead and Influence Others" on July 12, 2023 @ 12 PM on Zoom.
Meeting ID: 8269509626