Nominations to the Board of Trustees
Please note that your nomination package must be submitted and received by 5:00 p.m. CST on Wednesday, February 23, 2022.
Thank you for your interest in serving on the Alabama A&M University Board of Trustees. As vacancies occur on the Board, public notice will be sent concerning the vacancy and all deadlines associated with submitting nominations.
General qualifications that should be taken into consideration in determining qualified nominees include, but are not limited to:
- Prior experience on any profit or non-profit boards, including any expertise in leadership or management of such boards.
- Professional business experience, including but not limited to degree of involvement in managing a business or other corporate entity.
- Standing in the community and indicia of public service.
- Willingness to perform all trustee responsibilities and duties and ability to commit the time necessary to fulfill such responsibilities and duties.
- Knowledge of the respective roles of the Board of Trustees and operation of a university.
- Personal integrity, character, intelligence, and ability to work well with others.
- Diversity with respect to residence, race, gender and ethnicity.
COMPOSITION OF THE BOARD
The Board of Trustees of Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical University consists of the following:
- Two (2) members who reside in Congressional District 5 of the State of Alabama, as constituted on September 5, 1975, and shall be a bona fide resident and qualified elector of that district, with a verifiable physical presence in that district, during the entire term of office;
- One (1) member each who reside in Congressional Districts 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 and 7 of the State of Alabama, as constituted on September 5, 1975, and shall be a bona fide resident and qualified elector of that district, with a verifiable physical presence in that district, during the entire term of office;
- Three (3) at-large members who may be selected from outside the state; and
The Governor, who shall be ex officio president of the board.
Applicants must provide the following:
- Nominee Application
- Letter of interest, which includes answers to the following questions:
- What specific contributions do you envision making to the University?
- Describe the professional and personal experiences and perspective you would bring to the Board of Trustees that adds value to the governance and operation of the University?
- Please tell us your current relationship with Alabama A&M University and elaborate on your current support for the University (i.e., financial support, time, leveraging relationships, support for programs, etc.).
- Do you have a network to assist the president of the University with his fundraising efforts
- Resume or curriculum vitae
- At least one, but no more than 3 letters of reference
Electronic documents should be submitted in Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF format.
SUBMITTING YOUR APPLICATION MATERIALS
Open the Nominee Application and save it to your computer. After completing the application, submit it along with the other application materials by the deadline set out in the public notice by one of the following means:
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- or Mail:
Board of Trustees Nominating Committee
P.O. Box 18248
Huntsville, Alabama 35804-8248
*If submitting your application by mail, all materials must be postmarked by the deadline or your application will not be considered.
After submitting your application, you will receive a confirmation e-mail within two business days. If you do not, call (256) 518-3607 to verify your application was received.