Ranjani Kulawardhana Biography
- GIS & Remote Sensing
- Coastal & wetland ecology
- Vegetation productivity & carbon dynamics
- Climate change
- Land-use/ land-cover change & disturbance impacts
- Environmental health
- Geospatial mapping and monitoring of vegetation productivity, carbon sequestration,
& ecosystem products & services,
- Climate- and human-induced disturbance impacts on ecosystem health, productivity,
carbon sequestration ability, and land-use/ land-cover change (LULCC)
- Environmental health with special focus on effects of environmental pollution
- Geospatial modeling of health disparity outcomes
Ecosystem Science and Management - Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas, USA
Integrated Water Resources Management - Postgraduate Institute of Agriculture, University
of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka
Agriculture (sp. Agric. Biology) – Faculty of Agriculture, University of Peradeniya,
*denotes students mentored/ advised by Kulawardhana R W
Peer review publications
- Kulawardhana, R. W., Popescu, S. C. & Feagin, R. A. (2017). Airborne lidar remote
sensing applications in non-forested short stature environments: a review. Annals
of Forest Research, DOI:10.15287/afr.2016.719.
- Kulawardhana, R. W., Feagin, R. A., Popescu, S. C., Boutton, T. W., Yeager, K. & Bianchi,
T. S. (2015). The role of elevation and relative sea level history in determining
carbon distribution in Spartina alterniflora dominated salt marshes. Estuarine Coastal
and Shelf Science, 154, 48-57
- Gulledge, E. M*., Taimei, T. H*., Kulawardhana. R. W, Fengxiang, X. H., & Tchounwou,
P. B. (2015). Impacts of the Deep-Water Horizon Oil Spilling on the Gulf Coastal Salt
Marsh and its Carbon Sequestration Capacity. J Bioremed Biodeg, 7, e170
- Kulawardhana, R. W., Popescu, S. C. & Feagin, R. A. (2014). Fusion of lidar and multi-spectral
data to quantify saltmarsh carbon stocks. Remote Sensing of Environment -Special Issue
on Remote Sensing of Vegetation Structure, Condition, and Function, 154, 345-357
- Bianchi, T.S., Allison, M. A., Zhao, J., Li, X., Comeaux, R. S., Feagin R. A. & Kulawardhana,
R. W. (2013). Historical reconstruction of mangrove expansion in the Gulf of Mexico:
Linking climate change with carbon sequestration in coastal wetlands. Estuarine, Coastal
and Shelf Science, 119 (1), 7–16
- Hideto, F., Busia, D., Kulawardhana, R. W., Thenkabail, P. & Namara, R. (2011). Features
of river flow in inland valleys in semi-deciduous forest zone in Ghana. Transactions
of the Japanese Society of Irrigation, Drainage and Rural Engineering, 77 (6), 637-644.
- Islam, Md. A., Thenkabail, P. S., Kulawardhana, R. W., Alankara, R., Gunasinghe, S.,
Edussriya, C. & Gunawardana, A. (2008). Semi-automated methods for mapping wetlands
using Landsat ETM+ and SRTM data, International Journal of Remote Sensing, 29 (24),
7077 — 7106.
- Kulawardhana, R. W., Thenkabail, P. S., Vithanage, J., Biradar, C., Islam, Md. A.,
Gunasinghe, S. & Alankara, R. (2007). Evaluation of the Wetland Mapping Methods using
Landsat ETM+ and SRTM Data. Journal of Spatial Hydrology (JoSH), 7(2): 1530-4736.
- Reeves M, Angerer J, Hunt ER, Kulawardhana W, Loboda T, Loveland T, Metternicht G,
Ramsey D Washington-Allen R. (2015). A Global View of Remote Sensing of Rangelands:
Evolution, Applications, Future Pathways. In Remote Sensing Handbook. Volume II: Land
Resources: Monitoring, Modeling, and Mapping (Thenkabail, P.S. ed.). Boca Raton, FL:
CRC Press/Taylor & Francis Group
Papers published in conference proceedings
- Kulawardhana, R.W., Harris, T. T*. & Gulledge, E. M* (2016). Impacts of natural- and
human-induced disturbances on Estuarine Wetland Ecosystems: Case study from Grand
Bay National Estuarine Research Reserve (NERR), Mississippi, USA. Proceedings of the
NOAA EPP/MSI 8th Biennial Education and Science Forum, Aug 28-31, New York, USA
- Harris T.T*., Kulawardhana R.W., Gulledge E. M*., Han F. X. & Tchounwou P B (2016).
Spatial patterns and temporal dynamics of Juncus roemerianus dominated wetland vegetation
characteristics and carbon stocks of Grand Bay National Estuarine Research Reserve,
Mississippi. Proceedings of the NOAA EPP/MSI 8th Biennial Education and Science Forum,
Aug 28-31, New York, USA.
- Gulledge EM*, Kulawardhana RW, Harris TT*, Johnson TK*, Han FX and Tchounwou P B (2016).
Characteristics of soil carbon stocks in the Grand Bay National Estuarine Research
Reserve (NERR) wetland ecosystems of the North Gulf of Mexico Region: Geo-spatial
modeling approach. Proceedings of the NOAA EPP/MSI 8th Biennial Education and Science
Forum, Aug 28-31, in New York, USA.
- Washington-Allen, Robert A., March, Rosaleen G., McNelis, John J., Roberts, Joseph
R., Seiden, Zachariah T., Kulawardhana, Ranjani W., Reeves, Matthew C., and Mitchell,
John E. (2015). Examining the causes of US dryland “greening” and their relationships
to commercial livestock grazing using time series of LST and NPP satellite data. Proceedings
of the 3rd UNCCD Scientific Conference: “Combating desertification/land degradation
and drought for poverty reduction and sustainable development: the contribution of
science, technology, traditional knowledge and practices” held n 9-12 March in Cancun,
- Kulawardhana, R. W., Robert A. Washington-Allen, Popescu, S. C., Feagin, R. A., &
Matt C. Reeves (2012). Regional scale assessment of rangelands degradation and its
key drivers using remotely sensed vegetation net primary productivity data. Proceedings
of the 4th Int. Conference on Geo-Information Technology for Natural Disaster Management.
November 7-8, 2012, Colombo, Sri Lanka
- Washington-Allen, R. A., Kulawardhana, R. W., Reeves M. C. & J. E. Mitchell (2011).
The impact of livestock grazing on US dryland productivity from 2000 to 2006. Proceedings
of the IX International Rangeland Congress, Diverse Rangelands for a Sustainable Society,
April 2 – 8, 2011, Rosario, Argentina
- Kulawardhana, R. W., Thenkabail. P.S., Masiyandima, M., Biradar, C.M., Vithanage,
J., Finlayson, M., Gunasinghe, S. & Alankara., R. (2006). Evaluation of different
methods for delineation of wetlands in the Limpopo river basin using Landsat ETM+
and SRTM data. Proceedings of the first Globwetland Symposium: Looking at wetlands
from space held on October 19 – 20 in Frascati, Italy.
- Thenkabail, P.S., Biradar, C.B., Noojipady, P., Islam, Md. A., Vithanage, J., Velpuri,
M., Dheeravath, V., Kulawardhana, R. W., Li, Y.J., Gunasinghe, S. & Alankara, R. (2006).
International Water Management Institute’s Data Storehouse Pathway (IWMIDSP): A unique
data and knowledge gateway of spatial data with emphasis on river basins. Proceedings
of SPIE, Vol. 6418.
- Kulawardhana, R. W., Dayawansa, N. D. K. & De Silva, R. P. (2004). Determination of
spatial and temporal variations of vegetation cover, land surface temperature and
rainfall and their relationships over Sri Lanka using NOAA AVHRR data, Tropical Agricultural
Research, 16 (1), 282-29 - Proceeding papers
- Kulawardhana R. W. (2013). Review on the book “Environmental Remote Sensing and Systems
Analysis, ed. Ni-Bin Chang, CRC Press, NY”. International Journal of Photogrammetric
Engineering and Remote Sensing. Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing, 79
- Kulawardhana R. W. (2012). Review on the book “Remote sensing and GIS technologies
for monitoring and prediction of disasters, ed. Shailesh Nayak and Sisi Zlatanova,
Oxford, NY, Springer”. International Journal of Digital Earth, 4(6), 539 – 541.
- Kulawardhana R. W. (2011). Review on the book “Remote sensing of vegetation: principles,
techniques and applications by Hamlyn G. Jones and Robin A Vaughan, Oxford University
Press, Oxford, NY”. Journal of Vegetation Science, 22(6), 1–3.
||Technol in Agric and Bio Sci
||Introduction to GIS
||Remote Sensing for Environment
In order to view PDF files on your computer, you must have a PDF reader program installed.
If you do not already have such a reader, you can download a free reader at Adobe's
website: Download Adobe Acrobat Reader Software