The academic advising process is a collaboration between the academic advisor and the student. During each semester’s academic advising meetings (pre-registration), the advisors and their students select academic courses based upon their declared major course curriculum. Students who have not declared a major are also provided with opportunities to explore their career interests, degree program options, and career possibilities.
Six full-time professional advisors will assist students with course selections and scheduling. In addition to teaching the First-Year Experience Courses (ORI 101/102), advisors will monitor and maintain student records and prepare them for transfer to the four degree-granting colleges.
The Office of Academic Advising is one of the units that makes up the Freshman Academy.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Who is my Academic Advisor?
One advisor is assigned to each college. If you have declared your major, you can determine who your advisor is from the Meet the Advisors page.
Two advisors are assigned to undeclared majors and to students in the Academic Recovery Program. Such students with last names starting with A-M will be assigned to Janet Jones; N-Z will be assigned to Veronica Booker. See the Academic Recovery and Meet the Advisors pages linked above for more info.Back to Top
- How do I schedule an appointment to see my advisor?
- How do I access my Self-Service Banner account?
- How do I declare/change my major (or minor)?
This is done through the Major/Minor/Concentration Declaration or Change Form from the Registrar's Office.Back to Top
- How do I sign up for tutoring?
This is normally done through GradesFirst. From your GradesFirst home screen, click the blue "Schedule a Tutoring Appointment" button in the upper right. Tutoring and supplemental instruction are managed by TAN, the Tutorial Assistance Network. (See also the GradesFirst Guide for Students.)Back to Top
- How do I find the curriculum for my major?
- How do I make a request to take "transient" courses at another institution?
- How do I request an official copy of my academic transcript?
- How do I cancel my current class registration?
- How do I officially withdraw from the University?
- I've been placed on Academic Probation or given an Academic Warning. What now?