Skip to content

Academic Recovery Program

Success is no accident. It is hard work, perseverance, learning, studying, sacrifice and most of all, love of what you are doing or learning to do.

Welcome to the Freshman Academy's Academic Recovery Program.

The Academic Recovery program provides specialized academic assistance to all students on Academic Warning or Academic Probation. We also assist those who are experiencing academic difficulty.

The mission of the academic recovery advisor and mentors is to provide recovery services in an effort to increase student achievement and persistence.

Help us help you to succeed in school.

Frequently Asked Questions

  • What does it mean to be on Academic Probation?

    If your GPA has fallen below the University requirements, an academic retention hold will be placed on your account until your GPA returns to good standing.

    • First-Time Freshmen
      If your GPA is below 1.50 and you have earned fewer than 24 hours, you will be placed on Academic Warning. The status of Academic Warning does not remain a part of your academic transcript.

    • Continuing Freshmen AND Sophomores
      If your GPA is above 1.50 but below 1.75, and you have earned between 25 and 44 hours, you will be placed on Academic Probation. Your academic status will be placed on your official transcript.

    • Sophomores, Juniors, and Seniors
      If your GPA is below 2.00, and you have earned more than 45 hours, you will be placed on Academic Probation. Your academic status will be placed on your official transcript.
    Back to Top
  • Can I return to school if I am on probation?

    Absolutely! We care about your success. 

    Students who have been placed on Academic Warning have three (3) semesters to return to good academic standing.

    Students on Academic Probation have two (2) semesters to return to good academic standing.

    However, keep in mind that poor performance may negatively impact your financial aid. If you are receiving federal funds, you must maintain a Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) rate of 67% in order to continue to receive financial aid.

    Even though you may not be academically dismissed from the University, you may have to seek alternative funding to pay for school.

    Back to Top
  • How do I return to good standing?

    As part of your success plan, success seminars are conducted throughout the semester to provide tips and information to guide you back to academic good standing. Also, you are encouraged to sign up for tutoring or supplemental instruction through the Tutorial Assistance Network (TAN). Additionally, a self-assessment plan will completed during your visit to help determine other services needed for your academic success.

    Back to Top
  • What other tips can you offer?

    Here are a few tips to get started.

    • Being successful in college requires commitment and sacrifice.
    • It is important to purchase necessary books and course material early in the semester.
    • In addition, most of your instructors use Blackboard to post assignments in your classes, so you should develop the habit of checking Blackboard often to avoid missing deadlines. 
    Back to Top

Contact Us

Academic Recovery Program
JF Drake Learning Resources Center