Graduate Course Requirements
- Students are required to enroll in CSD 516 Advanced Clinical Practicum every semester of enrollment until all required clinical clock hours (400) are completed for ASHA certification.
- Students will not be permitted to graduate until all clinical clock hours have been obtained and approved through the Director of Clinical Services and Program Director.
- For a detailed degree requirement list please see the Graduate Catalog
Speech, Language and Hearing Screening
- CSD students must take and pass a speech-language-hearing screening examination during their first semester. The purpose of this screening is to identify any speech, language or hearing problem that may interfere with a students' academic or clinical progression in the Program.
- Students must demonstrate the ability to speak Standard American English intelligibly including modeling of all English phonemes.
- Students will be enrolled in the AAMU Speech and Hearing Clinic free of charge if test results deem intervention necessary.
- Graduate students enrolled in the CSD Program will, in their first semester, undergo a criminal background check which includes fingerprinting and a check of national and state criminal databases.
- Fingerprint/Background Checks is a requirement for all individuals in the School of Education including CSD students.
- Cogent Systems is the company that has been selected by the University to conduct the necessary fingerprint background checks.
- Evidence of cleared background checks must be submitted to the Director of Clinical Services by the due dates listed below.
- Practicum students are responsible for the cost and completion of the background checks.
- All practicum students must first apply online with Cogent, pay the fee and obtain a registration identification number. Keep this registration number in a safe place, as it will be needed to be presented at the designated fingerprinting center indicated on line.
- Cost of the process is about $55 (subject to change).
- Practicum students may learn more about the fingerprinting process and identify fingerprint location in their area via the Cogent Systems web site (under “Registration”).
- Additional Cogent System contact information is as follows:
Cogent Systems/ALSDE Cards Scan
5450 Frantz Road Suite 250
Dublin, OH 43016
- WHAT IF I HAVE ALREADY HAD A BACKGROUND CHECK?
If graduate students have already been cleared through the Alabama Board of Education and the FBI for job related purposes, the student’s background check will be accepted if performed after 1999.Back to Top
- What happens if a student does not clear the background check
In addition, if for any reason the background check applicant is not cleared via the state of Alabama, he/she will be asked to leave the designated practicum site until state clearance is received by the Director of Clinical Services.Back to Top
- Each student's program is planned with the guidance of, and in consultation with, a departmental advisor in the area of CSD.
- The department does not take responsibility for courses taken without departmental advisement and approval.
- A copy of the program of study can be obtained from the department.
- Decisions on clinical/academic performance and possible termination of students from the program will be based on factors such as course grades, demonstrated clinical competence, and personality/disposition factors.
- All candidates must pass, with a score of 162 or above, the National Examination in Speech-Language Pathology (Praxis) to fulfill the requirements for graduation.
- The Praxis examination is used in lieu of the graduate comprehensive examination.
The University must receive evidence of a passing test score before the official date of the comprehensive exam within the final semester of registered enrollment.