Frequently Asked Questions
Get answers to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) regarding Banner, including passwords, access, reporting, and more.
General Banner Questions
- Q1.1 What does BANNER stand for?
Banner is the trademarked name given to this suite of software products by its parent company Ellucian (formerly known as SunGard HE, and even more formerly known as SCT, Inc). Although it is sometimes spelled in uppercase, "Banner" is not an acronym, and the name has no known special significance.Back to Top
- Q1.2 How long will we be using this system? Will we be expected to move to another
software package in the near future?
Although information technology has a limited life-expectancy due to the rapid changes and advancements the industry experiences, we expect Ellucian to continue to provide new functionality and improvements to the Banner system, which we will take advantage of by implementing their upgrades and modifications.
There are no plans to move to anything else in the immediate-term. That said, the ITS office is always looking for solutions to best fit the University's needs. Future changes cannot be ruled out.Back to Top
- Q1.3 Are Social Security Numbers (SSNs) viewable in Banner?
Yes, by select employees only. SSNs are stored in Banner for legally required purposes (e.g., payroll), and this data is kept in an encrypted table viewable only by a few staff with the appropriate security clearance. We generally use the A-numbers assigned within Banner instead of SSNs for most identification purposes.Back to Top
- Q1.4 Will I be able to generate reports myself?
Yes. Banner allows the end-user to generate several reports; see the Banner Manual for more details. ITS can also help your business units generate more complex reports.Back to Top
- Q1.5 What version of Banner are we running?
AAMU is currently running on Banner 9. The transition to version 9 was completed in late 2018.Back to Top
All University employees and students should have access to SSB.
- Q2.1 How do I open and exit Banner Self Service?
Use your AAMU user ID (A-number) and Banner PIN to log in to Banner Self Service. This link can always be found at myAAMU.
To Exit: it is recommended to always use the Logout icon to exit Banner Self Service. Closing the window or tab may not necessarily close your session. Your information may still be accessible if you do not properly log out after using SSB on a public computer.Back to Top
- Q2.2 What do I do if I can't remember by Banner Self-Service password or A-number?
- Q2.3 I tried to retrieve my Banner SSB ID and PIN from the links above, and it did
not work. What do I do?
Students: follow the directions given on the screen. It will tell you what office to visit to resolve the problem.
Employees: if you entered all information correctly and still cannot retrieve your Banner SSB ID and/or PIN, please call the ITS Helpdesk at Ext. 4357.Back to Top
- Q2.4 Can I change my SSB PIN? How?
- Q2.5 Are there any restrictions on what I can use for my SSB PIN?The SSB PIN must be at least 6 characters. (Formerly it could be only numbers, which is why it is still called a "PIN", but letters are also now allowed; note that any letters in your PIN are case-sensitive.) We recommend a strong password containing uppercase letters and lowercase letters and numbers.Back to Top
- Q2.6 If I try to log into SSB numerous times without success, will my account get locked?
- Q2.7 Why did my Banner Self Service session timeout?If there is no activity for 15 minutes, your Banner Self Service session will timeout. This is for security reasons.Back to Top
- Q2.8 How do I view Pay Stubs?After you login to Banner Self-Service, go to the Employee tab, then select Pay Information to view pay stubs by year. Select the year and the pay stub to view. Direct Deposit and Earnings and Deductions History are available there.Back to Top
- Q2.9 It says something about "intrusion attempt detected" and logged me out! What
happened?That is caused by logging into the same SSB account simultaneously on two different devices or browsers. (For example, logging in on your phone without first closing out SSB on your desktop browser.) This activity is blocked for security reasons-- logging in via two different devices will cause you to be kicked out on both for a short time. Important: If it was not you that logged in from another device, then someone else may be trying to log in as you somewhere. Change your password as soon as you are able.Back to Top
Banner Admin (INB)
Access to Banner Admin (formerly known as Internet Native Banner, or INB) requires special training and access approval. The following FAQs are for users who have completed these requirements.
- Q3.1 Do I need access to INB?
Faculty and staff use INB to manage financial, student, and human resource information, which often consists of PII or other sensitive data. Therefore, access to INB is restricted and must be approved. To justify access, users must demonstrate a legitimate need to for access to confidential department data.Back to Top
- Q3.2 How do I obtain access to INB?
- Q3.3 Whom do I contact if I can't remember my INB password?
Please call the ITS HelpDesk at Ext. 4357.Back to Top
- Q3.4 How do I change my INB login password?
- Expired password: If your password expires, a pop-up window prompts you to enter a new password. You must enter your old, expired password, enter the new password with confirmation, and then click OK.
- Change password (not expired or locked): Go to the GUAPSWD form after you login to Banner INB.
- Locked password: Call ITS Service Desk at Ext. 4357 for password reset. Passwords do not automatically unlock, so ITS will have to unlock it.Back to Top
- Q3.5 How often does the INB login password expire?Banner INB login passwords expire every 120 days. The Banner system will remind you to change your password prior to expiration.Back to Top
- Q3.6 Are there any restrictions on what I can use for my INB password?
You can use numbers, letters, and a limited set of special characters in your INB password. Not all special characters can be used in Banner, however.
The following special characters are allowed: ! * + - / _
The following special characters should not be used: @ # $ % ^ & = ( ) , < > ` ~ ; " : \ ?
NOTE: Do not use spaces in your INB password.
We recommend a STRONG Password. An ideal password is long and has letters (upper- and lower-case), symbols, and numbers. Such passwords are nearly impossible to guess.Back to Top
- Q3.7 If I try to log into INB numerous times without success, will my account get
locked?Yes. After 3 unsuccessful attempts to log into INB in a row, your account will be locked. Call the Help Desk to get it unlocked. INB passwords do not automatically unlock, so ITS will have to unlock it.Back to Top
- Q3.8 I found some wrong information in Banner. Can you fix it?No. ITS generally does not touch the actual information in Banner. We maintain the underlying Banner infrastructure and train functional users; any issues with the contents of Banner should be taken up with the Data Steward of the appropriate functional area. You can find the Data Steward listing on the Access to Banner page.Back to Top