The Alabama A&M University Writing Center
Welcome to The "Write Place"
Located in Carver Complex North, Room 125
The "Write Place” is Alabama A&M’s Writing Center, offering peer tutoring and writing workshops in a collaborative learning environment.
Dedicated to Development
The purpose of The "Write Place" is to focus on developing writers - not just writing!
Our services are free for all AAMU undergraduate students and our tutors come from a variety of academic disciplines with specialized training to work with all types of writing and undergraduate writers. Our center also has other writing resources that writers can access for help with such things as research documentation, avoiding plagiarism or reviewing the rules of punctuation and grammar. (Click the dropdown menu above to see more services.)
Come to The "Write Place” for all of your undergraduate writing needs!
Please note: The "Write Place” serves undergraduate students only. Graduate Students, please visit Graduate Studies for Academic Resources.
NEED HELP WITH YOUR RESUME? COME SEE US!
The AAMU Writing Center is open from 8:30am-5:30pm, Monday through Thursday and 8:30am-4:00pm on Fridays (Fall-Spring semester)
(Closed on Fridays during summer term)
We now offer resume-writing help!
Feel free to call, email, or stop by to make individual or class reservations, or one-on-one appointments. Questions?
Contact Writing Center Director, Kem Roper 256-372-8965 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Book your Appointment
Although we do accept walk-ins, to guarantee a dedicated tutor, we recommend that you schedule an appointment. Appointments can be made through GradesFirst (Fall-Spring semester only) or on our Year Round Appointment Page.
FOR ALL SUMMER 2019 "IN PERSON" OR "ZOOM" APPOINTMENTS USE YEAR ROUND APPOINTMENT LINK ONLY!
The best consultations are those that are face to face. However, thanks to modern technology, face to face is not the only way we can help you! In addition to the many other services offered at The “Write Place,” you can also have your writing reviewed virtually by one of our “Write Place” tutors.
Through this process you may submit your assignment through email to be reviewed by our tutors and returned to you with edit suggestions. Please allow 48 hours for submissions to be returned.
Thanks to modern technology, you can have a face-to-face tutoring session without coming into the Writing Center! In addition to the many other services offered at The “Write Place,” you can also have your writing reviewed virtually and speak to a writing tutor through the Zoom app.
- Zoom appointments can only be booked 24 hours (or more) in advance. No same day Zoom conferences will be scheduled
- You will need a phone, computer or mobile device that has a web cam
- You do not have to have a Zoom account. You simply need the meeting ID which will be included in the Zoom invite that we send
Zoom Conference Form
After booking your Zoom appointment (below), check your email for further instructions.
What to Expect When You Come…
- How long is each session?
- Each tutoring sessions is 30-45 minutes.
- Writers should be 5 minutes early for appointments.
- Tutors focus on writers, not writing. Their goal is to assist writers in developing writing skills, not to edit their papers.
- A writer may schedule a maximum of 2 tutoring sessions per week and a maximum of 1 session per day.
- What should I bring?
- Writers should come prepared, with books, handouts, assignments or drafts that correspond to writing project.
- Writers should NOT come in with an assignment the day of or the day before it is due!
- What if I can't make a scheduled appointment?
- If a writer is late they should call ahead to notify.
- If a writer is more than 5 minutes late without notifying, we maintain the right to give their scheduled time to a “walk-in”.
- Tutoring sessions that begin late because of a writer’s tardiness will only be given the remaining time for their session. Sessions may NOT go over.
- Writers must notify of cancellations 24 hours in advance, by email or by phone.
- Excessive cancellations will result in forfeiture of scheduling privileges
- What resources are available in the writing center?
In order to view PDF files on your computer, you must have a PDF reader program installed. If you do not already have such a reader, you can download a free reader at Adobe's website: Download Adobe Acrobat Reader Software