The Alabama A&M University Writing Center
Welcome to The "Write Place"
Located in Carver Complex North, Room 125
The "Write Place” is Alabama A&M’s Writing Center, offering peer tutoring and writing workshops in a collaborative learning environment.
Dedicated to Development
What we do: the purpose of the Write Place is to focus on developing writers--not just writing.
Our services are free for all AAMU students and our tutors come from a variety of academic disciplines with specialized training to work with all types of writing and writers. Our center also has other writing resources that writers can access for help with such things as research documentation, avoiding plagiarism or reviewing the rules of punctuation and grammar. (Click the dropdown menu above to see more services.)
The Writing Center is NOT an editing service. We do not proofread. Our job is to help you better understand and improve your writing. We will give you suggestions on how you can improve the overall content, format & organization of ideas.
Book your Appointment
Limited in person tutoring is now available
To make an in-person appointment, log in to AAMU SSO and choose "Navigate." Select the "Get Assistance" button on the right. Then choose "Writing Assistance" for undergraduate, graduate, faculty or staff . FACULTY/STAFF PLEASE NOTE: in Navigate, you will need to switch from "Staff or Professor Home" to "Student Home" in order to see the "get assistance" button. To toggle between roles, click on the down arrow next to your title which is located at the top left side of home page.
Attention GRADUATE STUDENTS!
If you're working on a DISSERTATION, MASTER'S THESIS or MASTER'S REPORT, go to:
We can give you feedback by email, but it may take up to 2 days. If you're not in a hurry submit your request below and we'll email you suggestions for revision.
Schedule a Zoom Conference
Zoom meetings are available. Select "virtual" option in Navigate.
What to Expect When You Come…
- How long is each session?
- Each tutoring sessions is 30-45 minutes.
- Writers should be 5 minutes early for appointments.
- Tutors focus on writers, not writing. Their goal is to assist writers in developing writing skills, not to edit their papers.
- A writer may schedule a maximum of 2 tutoring sessions per week and a maximum of 1 session per day.
- What should I bring?
- Writers should come prepared, with books, handouts, assignments or drafts that correspond to writing project.
- Writers should NOT come in with an assignment the day of or the day before it is due!
- What if I can't make a scheduled appointment?
- If a writer is late they should call ahead to notify.
- If a writer is more than 5 minutes late without notifying, we maintain the right to give their scheduled time to a “walk-in”.
- Tutoring sessions that begin late because of a writer’s tardiness will only be given the remaining time for their session. Sessions may NOT go over.
- Writers must notify of cancellations 24 hours in advance, by email or by phone.
- Excessive cancellations will result in forfeiture of scheduling privileges
- What resources are available in the writing center?