The Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical University Honors Program provides an intellectually challenging learning environment for students of outstanding abilities. Students acquire life-long skills that are necessary in an ever-changing and fast-paced world as they work in a community of peers with some of the best professors on campus. Individual quests for excellence are also sponsored in the program with study abroad initiatives, internships, and research projects.
- Currently, Enrolled Students: Priority Application is March 15, 2023. The late deadline is May 15, 2023.
- New incoming freshmen/ new transfers: The priority application deadline is May 15, 2023. The late deadline is July 15, 2023.
Our mission is to challenge outstanding students at a higher academic pace and to provide experiential learning that will help students achieve success in a fiercely competitive world. The honors program provides superb educational, leadership, research, and service opportunities. Honors students will have access to advanced course offerings and extra- curricular activities that are discipline specific, innovative, and scholarly. Organized service for others also helps to perfect leadership skills that are required in most professional settings.
- To attract students who are academically talented and to offer programs of study designed to stimulate them to do the quality of work equal to their potential, one which prepares participants to enter and to successfully complete graduate and professional programs of study.
- To encourage and stimulate learning outside the classroom.
- To enable qualified students to progress at an accelerated rate.
- To maximize the opportunity for students to grow intellectually through classroom activities, colloquia, research, and writing seminars, and to broaden and enhance their social and cultural experiences.
- To encourage honors program students to participate in various activities at AAMU and to serve as classroom volunteers, peer counselors, teaching assistants, research assistants, laboratory assistants, and program assistants for major University functions.
- To participate in cooperative linkages and collaborative agreements with graduate and professional schools at major universities across the nation and with industries seeking individuals who are highly trained.
REQUIRED DOCUMENTS & APPLICATION CHECKLIST
The following documents will be used to determine your eligibility and acceptance into the Honors Program. Upon review of your application packet, if you meet ALL of the requirements you will be asked to participate in an interview in which the following decision is made.
- Honors Application (Online form)
- Essay (300-500 words): A brief autobiographical sketch; why you would like to participate in the Honors Program; the most important intellectually-stimulating experience you have had; and a brief description of your career goals.
- Transcript (official for incoming freshman/unofficial for current students)