Civil Engineering is the oldest of the traditional engineering professions. It is devoted to the improvement of the human environment for the purposes of making our activities productive, safe and enjoyable, while providing aesthetically pleasing surroundings. Civil Engineers plan, design, construct and maintain physical works and facilities that are deemed essential to modern human life. Civil Engineering includes the broad categories of construction, structural engineering, soil mechanics and foundation engineering, transportation engineering, water resources and hydraulic engineering, environmental engineering, surveying and mapping, city planning and municipal engineering.
The Civil Engineering Program at Alabama A&M University provides a general academic background in Civil Engineering while allowing a student to concentrate on a specialized area by selecting a technical elective course. The program leads to the Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering (BSCE) degree and provides basic courses in all of the following areas:
- Structural Engineering
- Geotechnical Engineering
- Environmental Engineering and Water Resources
- Transportation Engineering
- Construction Engineering
In addition, advanced courses in the above areas are offered as electives. The program prepares its students for immediate entry into the engineering profession as well as into graduate studies.
Program Educational Objectives
The objectives of our Civil Engineering Program are to produce graduates who, after the first few years of their graduation, will:
- successfully practice civil engineering in industry and/or government,
- continue to pursue lifelong learning through professional development or completion of advanced studies (graduate degree, short courses etc.), and
- recognize the need for scholarship, leadership, and services to society.
STUDENT LEARNING OUTCOMES
- an ability to identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics
- an ability to apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors
- an ability to communicate effectively with a range of audiences
- an ability to recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts
- an ability to function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives
- an ability to develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions
an ability to acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies
CIVIL ENGINEERING CURRICULUM
STUDENT ENROLLMENT AND GRADUATION DATA
|Academic Year||Enrollment||BSCE Degrees Awarded|
The Civil Engineering Program is fully accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET.
For more information about Civil Engineering Program at AAMU, financial aid and career opportunities, contact us today (Email: email@example.com, Phone: 256-372-4145).
Website developed and maintained by Dr. Sudip Bhattacharjee.
In order to view PDF files on your computer, you must have a PDF reader program installed. If you do not already have such a reader, you can download a free reader at Adobe's website: Download Adobe Acrobat Reader Software