Checklist for Candidates
Candidates for graduation report to the VBC East Hall 1 with cap, gown, and/or hood. Graduate and undergraduate candidates will line-up alphabetically by academic college at the direction of the Commencement Marshal. Candidates must be in the line-up no later than 5:15 p.m. There will be no entrance to the line-up after this time. The Commencement Processional and Program will begin promptly at 5:50 p.m.
Below is a checklist to help you prepare for a happy and memorable event.
- Academic and Financial Requirements: All individuals who plan to participate in the graduation ceremony must meet all
academic and financial requirements of the University. Please take whatever actions
are necessary to ensure you meet those requirements for your participation in the
- Graduation Clearance Screen: Please check the Graduation Clearance screen to make certain that you are cleared in all areas prior to graduation. We cannot
release your diploma if all four (4) areas do not indicate “CLEAR”. There are no exceptions to this rule. The academic area will not show clear until after Final exams have been processed.
- Check Graduation Clearance.
- Financial Aid Questions: If you have questions concerning Financial Aid, they should
be directed to the Financial Aid Office at (256) 372-5400; questions concerning Financial
Services should be directed to that office at (256) 372-5202 or (256) 372-5203; and
Career Development at (256) 372-8179.
- Final Courses: Contact your department chair for any questions you may have concerning completion
of your degree requirements. Students who are not enrolled in their final courses
will not be given permission to participate in the ceremony.
- Caps and gowns: Order your cap and gown right away!
- If you were unable to attend Grad Finale and have not ordered your regalia, please contact the AAMU Bookstore to find out if there's still time to order regalia.
- Caps and gowns will be issued April 29 to May 2, from 8:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. in the AAMU Bookstore.
- Graduation Attire:
- Ladies – black dress or black skirt with white blouse and black shoes
- Men – white shirt with dark tie, black pants and black shoes
- Commencement is mandatory. Candidates for graduation are required to attend the Commencement. An official excuse
must be obtained from the Provost and Vice President of Academic Affairs if you are
unable to attend, by completing and submitting the “REQUEST TO BE EXCUSED FROM COMMENCEMENT FORM”.
- Commencement practice. Candidates for graduation are required to attend the Commencement practice.
- All candidates for graduation (graduate and undergraduates) are to report to the T. M. Elmore Building for Commencement practice with the President, Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, Registrar and the Academic Deans. Please be on time in order that we may start promptly at 10:00 a.m., Thursday, May 2, 2019.
- Graduate (Masters and Doctoral degree) students are to bring their hoods to the practice session.
- The name cards that will be presented to the commencement announcer will be distributed at graduation rehearsal by your academic college coordinator. Please be sure to bring these items to the ceremony.
- If you are unable to attend Commencement Practice: Undergraduate Students, please
contact the Registrar 256-372-5254; Graduate Students, please contact Graduate Studies
- Special Disability Needs: Participants with special disability needs during commencement should contact the
Office of Academic Affairs at (256) 372-5275 no later than noon on Thursday, April 25, 2019.
- Diplomas: Graduates are advised that diplomas will not be distributed until the Commencement
ceremony is completed.
- Remain in place until the exit processional. Absolutely no diplomas will be given out until the exit processional is finished.
- Diplomas can be picked up in the VBC Arena Pre-function Room.
- Please bring appropriate identification.
- If you have any questions regarding the diploma distribution, please contact the Registrar’s
Office at 256-372-5254.
- Mailing Address: Please verify/update your mailing address via Banner Self-Service.
Again, congratulations on your great accomplishment. We look forward to celebrating with you!
In order to view PDF files on your computer, you must have a PDF reader program installed. If you do not already have such a reader, you can download a free reader at Adobe's website: Download Adobe Acrobat Reader Software