Frequently Asked Questions

  • Is Commencement Mandatory?

    Yes, participation in the Commencement Ceremony is mandatory. If you truly cannot be present for it, you must fill out the Request to Be Excused from Commencement form and submit it to the Office of Academic Affairs (Patton Hall, room 108).

    Back to Top
  • Do I need tickets?

    Yes, guests will want tickets for guaranteed seating. For the Spring 2019 Commencement, tickets will be given to each candidate for their guests. Tickets will ensure seating for the guests of candidates until 5:45 p.m. After 5:45, general admission will be in effect with no need for a ticket but seating cannot be guaranteed. Once the Propst Arena has reached capacity, guests will be directed to an overflow room in the East Hall to view the Commencement Ceremony live on a screen. Once the overflow room has reached capacity no entrance will be allowed into the Von Braun Center.

    Candidates do not need tickets for themselves, of course.

    Tickets will be given out to candidates at Commencement Practice on Thursday, May 2, 2019, in the Elmore Gym.

    Back to Top
  • What do you mean by "candidates"?

    "Candidates" is the traditional term for those who are about to graduate as part of the Commencement ceremony. They have completed their studies (hence, are no longer "students"), yet have not graduated until they officially receive their diploma (thus, they are not yet "graduates"). The correct term for these is "candidates for graduation", or just "candidates".

    Back to Top
  • Is there a parking fee?

    Yes, parking rates for downtown Huntsville will apply (usually $5, subject to change).

    Back to Top
  • What time should guests be there?

    Guests with tickets should arrive at least 90 minutes prior to the beginning of the ceremony (which begins at 6:00pm, so arrive at 4:30pm or earlier). All others (i.e., guests and members of the community without tickets) should arrive after 5:45pm.

    Back to Top
  • How long does the ceremony last?
    We expect the ceremony to last no longer than two hours.

    Back to Top
  • Is there handicapped parking?
    Yes. Handicap parking is available but on a first-come/first-serve basis.

    Back to Top
  • Where do I get my diploma?
    Diplomas will be issued immediately after Commencement in the VBC Arena Lobby Pre-Function Room. Proper identification will be required.

    Back to Top
  • How can I get an official transcript that shows my degree?
    Requests can be submitted in person, by mail, or online. A request for an official transcript made in writing must include all applicable names, social security number, date of birth, complete address, student’s signature and purpose of request. The request should include student’s full name, valid ID with social security number, dates of attendance, current addresses and the complete address to which the transcript should be sent. Transcripts cannot be produced for students that have a financial obligation to the university. More transcript information is provided here.

    Back to Top
  • How can I get an unofficial transcript?

    Unofficial transcripts can be viewed and printed from Self-Service Banner. Under the Student tab, click Student Records and then Academic Transcript.

    Do not attempt to use an unofficial transcript for any official purpose, e.g. employment.

    Back to Top
  • Where do I get my cap, robe, etc.?
    These are usually ordered at the "Grad Finale" event and picked up in the AAMU Bookstore. If you missed Grad Finale, call the Bookstore at 256-372-5626. See the checklist to make sure you have everything else in order as well.

    Back to Top