Frequently Asked Questions
- Why is the Spring 2021 Ceremony being held in Louis Crews Stadium?
The University is hosting the ceremony in Louis Crews Stadium to provide a venue large enough to support necessary safety protocols while allowing graduates to have guests.For those who are unable to attend the ceremony, AAMU will provide a live web-stream of the ceremony on the Commencement website Back to Top
- When is the ceremony and what time will it start?
The Spring 2021 Commencement Ceremony will be on April 30, 2021 at 10:00 a.m.Back to Top
- What time should graduates arrive at the stadium?
Graduates should arrive at the stadium and be seated no later than an hour prior to the start of the ceremony. Graduates will enter Louis Crews Stadium on the visitor side entrance.Back to Top
- What time can guests arrive at the stadium?
Guest can arrive one hour and a half prior to the ceremony.Back to Top
- What time will the ceremony end?
The ceremony is expected to last approximately two hours.Back to Top
- Do graduates have to wear a face covering?
All graduates will be required to wear a mask upon entering Louis Crews Stadium for their own protection, as well as the protection of other graduates. Please be responsible.
All participants and guests are required to wear a mask within Louis Crews Stadium for their own protection as well as for other guests. Please be responsible.Back to Top
- What safety measures are in place for commencement?
Due to COVID-19, the following additional safety protocols will be in place:
- Face Coverings: Required for all graduates, participants and guests. Everyone entering the stadium will be required to wear a mask or face covering.
- Physical distancing: Ushers will assist guests to their seats to ensure physical distancing. Graduates will be spaced apart to allow for practicable physical distancing.
- Hand Sanitizer: Stations will be provided as students enter the field and walk up the ramp on the stage.
- Temperature Checks: All participants, guests and graduates’ temperatures will be checked prior to entering the stadium. If your temperature is over 100.4, you will not be permitted entrance.
- Disinfecting: Chairs and bleachers will be disinfected prior to ceremony.
The following AAMU Athletics safety protocols will be in place for all guests entering Louis Crews Stadium:
- Clear Bag Policy: Guests must adhere to AAMU Athletics’ Clear Bag Policy for entry into Louis Crews Stadium, permitting a small clutch purse (4 ½” by 6 ½”) with or without a handle or strap, along with either a 12” by 6” by 12” clear tote bag or one-gallon freezer bag.
- Metal Detectors: Guests are required to pass through metal detectors.
- Will graduates be limited in the number of guests they bring?
Yes. The number of guests each graduate is allowed will be determined at a later date. Graduates will be notified when it is determined. All guests are required to physically distance inside Louis Crews Stadium. Guests are asked to sit in groups and maintain at least six feet between other families.Back to Top
- Where can graduates and guests park?
Louis Crews Stadium and surrounding areas.Back to Top
- Where do graduates and guests enter?
Graduates should enter the stadium from the visitor side. Guest can enter from the home side of the stadium.Back to Top
- Will concessions be sold?
NoBack to Top
- What should graduates wear under their regalia?
All graduates are encouraged to wear comfortable clothing under their regalia. However, please be mindful that all graduates will be asked to remove or lift up their gown upon entering Louis Crews Stadium.Back to Top
- Can graduates wear heels?
Heels are not permitted on the field at Louis Crews Stadium. Please wear flats or athletic shoes.Back to Top
- What should guests wear?
Guests should dress comfortably and be prepared for colder temperatures.Back to Top
- Can guests go onto the field after the ceremony?
No, guests are not permitted on the football field.Back to Top
- Can guests and graduates bring an umbrella?
Yes, guests may bring umbrellas into the stadium for Commencement. Please be courteous of other guests when using umbrellas. Graduates may not bring in an umbrella.Back to Top
- Will graduates be able to walk across the stage?
Yes, all graduates will walk across the stage and have their name called. However, no physical contact, including handshakes, are permitted with the stage party.Back to Top
- Will professional photos be taken when the students cross the stage?
Yes, Zapfotos will take pictures of each graduate as they walk across the stage. Proofs can be viewed and purchased online within two weeks of the commencement ceremony. A proof will be mailed to graduates. Personal pictures should be taken either before or after the ceremony.Back to Top
- Can guests take photos?
Flash photography and large, free-standing cameras are not permitted. Phones and small cameras are allowed.Back to Top
- Will anything be handed to the graduate when they cross the stage?
NoBack to Top
- How do graduates get their diploma?
Diplomas will be mailed to graduates.Back to Top
- What can graduates and guests bring into Louis Crews Stadium?
All graduates, participants and guests must adhere to Louis Crews Stadium’s safety protocols. For a list of prohibited items, please visit AAMU Athletics game day policy
- Graduates may NOT take purses or backpacks onto the field
- Graduates are permitted to bring a small camera and/or a call phone that can either be left in their seat or placed in their pocket when crossing the stage.
- Graduates may NOT bring alcoholic beverages, inflatable objects, umbrellas, balls, or any toys.
- Graduates may NOT bring any liquids into the Stadium. Bottled water will be provided free of charge.
- Guests are permitted to bring umbrellas in the event of light rain (must fit inside clear bag).
- Guests are permitted to bring in one clear bag (no bigger than 4.5”x3.4”), a gallon zip lock bag, a seat cushion, a clutch or small purse, and a wallet. Prohibited items include backpacks, camera cases, diaper bags, oversized bags, large purses, or tinted plastic bags.
- Guests are required to pass through metal detectors and asked to check their bags. Please be respectful to security personnel and allow additional time to enter the Stadium. Guest may enter the stadium two hours prior to the ceremony start time.
- Will there be graduation program?
YesBack to Top
- DO I NEED TICKETS?
Yes, for Spring 2021 Commencement, students will receive 8 tickets each. Tickets will ensure seating for guests of candidates.
Tickets will be given out to candidates electronicallyBack to Top
- HOW CAN I GET AN OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT THAT SHOWS MY DEGREE?
Requests can be submitted in person, by mail, or online. A request for an official transcript made in writing must include all applicable names, social security number, date of birth, complete address, student’s signature and purpose of request. The request should include student’s full name, valid ID with social security number, dates of attendance, current addresses and the complete address to which the transcript should be sent. Transcripts cannot be produced for students that have a financial obligation to the university. More information is provided here.Back to Top