Summer Four-by-Ten Workweek
To: All University Employees
From: Office of Human Resources
Date: April 4, 2018
Subject: Summer 2018 - Four Day/Ten Hour Workweek Schedule
The University will adhere to a 4x10 work week during the summer break between the spring and fall semester. (That is, in the summer, a normal work week will consist of four ten-hour work days, Monday through Thursday. See the FAQs for more details.)
The specifics are as follows:
1. The 4/10 workweek schedule for 2018 will be eleven weeks long. The 4/10 schedule begins Monday, May 14, and the week of July 23.
2. The two weeks with holidays (Memorial Day and Fourth of July) will be 3/10 weeks; full-time employees will work three 10-hour days.
3. The University will observe the July 4th Holiday on July 4, 2018.
4. The University will resume the normal five-day/eight-hour-day schedule on Monday, July 30, 2018.
The purpose of the 4/10 summer schedule is to keep the campus closed on Fridays and Saturdays to the greatest extent possible. However, it is understood that a few offices or individuals might need to access their offices on Friday. If so, you must obtain approval from your Supervisor, Dean, and Associate Provost or appropriate Vice President. The Dean or Associate Provost or Vice President should submit a list of employee names to the Department of Public Safety.
Essential personnel schedules may vary from this 4/10 summer schedule and will be handled by each department. The 4/10 summer schedule does not apply to ARAMARK personnel or University personnel supervised by ARAMARK.
The guidelines below must be used to establish the 4/10 workweek schedule in each department. Each employee’s specific schedule will be determined in cooperation with, and approval of, the supervisor. Please keep the items below in mind.
- The normal workday hours during this period will be from 7:00 a.m. to 6:30 p.m.
- Less-than-full-time employees will divide their total weekly hours by four to determine the hours per day to work for the 4x10 workweek schedule.
- The following standard hours for all employees are:
|Half-Hour Lunch||One-Hour Lunch|
|7:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m., or||7:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m., or|
|7:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.||7:30 a.m. – 6:30 p.m.|
Note: Schedules are to be arranged between supervisors and employees. It is not necessary
to notify the Office of Human Resources.
Frequently Asked Questions Information Sheet
In order to view PDF files on your computer, you must have a PDF reader program installed. If you do not already have such a reader, you can download a free reader at Adobe's website: Download Adobe Acrobat Reader Software