Animal Nutrition and Metabolism
We focus on development of dietary supplementations strategies that improve the use
of grains and forages by ruminant animals; evaluating feed intake and utilization
of grain-based diets in ruminants; Evaluating utilization of alternative feed ingredients
in ruminants; and the development of new feed products and feeding programs. Our current
research focus on evaluating silvopasture systems for sustainable production of meat
sheep (Ovis aries) in a loblolly pine (Pinus taeda, L.) plantation in order to increase
productivity and profitability on small and medium sized limited resource farms in
the southeastern United States.
- Stone, Aleta R.; Gurung, Nar; Solaiman, Sandra G.; Min, Byeng R.; Abdelrahim; Kumi, Anthony S.; and McElhenney, Wendell H. (2016) "Fatty Acid Composition of Growing
Kiko X Spanish Crossbred Intact Male Goats Fed Varying Levels of Peanut Skins," Professional
Agricultural Workers Journal: Vol. 3: No. 2, 4.
- Abdelrahim G., J. Khatiwada, N. K. Gurung (2014) Effects of Dried Distillers Grains with Solubles
on Performance and Carcass Characteristics of Lamb. Journal of Animal Research and
Technology 1 (2): 25–30. DOI: 10.5147/jart.2014.0203.
- Abdelrahim, G., Khatiwada, D. Rankins, N. Gurung, and A. Gueye (2012a) Influence of Feeding Peanut
Skins on Performance of Gulf Coast Ewe Lambs. Journal of Animal Research and Technology
1 (2): 20–24. DOI: 10.5147/jpgs.2012.0107.
- Abdelrahim, G., Khatiwada, and A. Gueye (2012b) Effect of dietary supplementation of ferrous sulfate
on performance and carcass characteristics of meat sheep. Journal of Animal Research
and Technology 1 (1): 7–12. DOI: 10.5147/jart.2012.0105.
- Abdelrahim, G., R. C. Richardson, and A. Gueye (2012) Impact of Ergot Infested Sorghum on the Reproductive Performance of Sows. Journal of Animal Research and Technology 1 (1): 1–6. DOI: 10.5147/jart.2012.0104.
- Gurung, N. K., S. G. Solaiman, D. L. Rankins, Jr., A.L. Kendricks, Abdelrahim, and W. H. McElhenny (2012) The effects of distillers dried grains with solubles
on apparent nutrient digestibility and passage kinetics of Boer×Spanish castrated
male goats. Journal of Applied Animal Research. DOI: 10.1080/09712119.2011.640205.
- Stone, A., N. Gurung, S. Solaiman, D. Rankins, Jr., Abdelrahim, and W. McElhenney. 2009. Effects of feeding peanut skins on growth performance and carcass traits of Kiko ×
Spanish\ growing male goat kids. J. Anim. Sci. Vol. 87, E-Suppl. 2/J. Dairy Sci. Vol.
92, E-Suppl. 1. 484.
- Abdelrahim, G., C. Melton, V. Allen, and K. R. Pond (2008) Sorghum Silage Digestibility in Sheep.
Proceedings of the Western Section of the American Society of Animal Science 59:327-330.
- Bramble, T. C., G. V. Pollard, K. F. Wilson, B. S. Clyburn, A. Gueye, M. A. Johnson,
Abdelrahim, C. R. Richardson, and A. J. Mjolsness (2002) Jerusalem artichoke (Helianthus tuberosus)
flour as a partial starch replacement for growing beef steers. Department of Animal
Science and Food Technology Technical Report. Texas Tech University.
- Pond, K. R., and Abdelrahim. Models for Describing the Flow of Digesta and Fluids in Camel (1998) Proceeding of
the Third Annual Meeting of Camel Production. Al-Ain, United Arab Emirates. May 2-3,
- Abdelrahim G., J. Khatiwada, A. Gueye (2011) Effect of dietary supplementation of ferrous sulfate
on performance and carcass characteristics of meat sheep. J. Anim. Sci. Vol. 90, Suppl. 3/J. Dairy Sci. Vol. 95, Suppl. 2.
- Vizcarra, A., Wright, H., Shackelford, L., Abdelrahim, G., Washington, D., Vizcarra, J. 2011. Orexigenic Effects of Anti-Ghrelin Antibodies
in Broad-Breasted White Turkeys. Association of Research Directors. Atlanta, Georgia. (Abs
P-SP-U-30 p 173).
- Wright, H., Vizcarra, A., Shackelford, L., Abdelrahim, G., Vizcarra, J. 2011. The Effect of Passive Immunization Against Ghrelin on Animal Behavior. Association
of Research Directors.Atlanta, Georgia. (Abs P-SP-U-34 p 174).
- Matthews, J., Abdelrahim, G., Khatiwada, J., Vizcarra, J. 2011. Impact of feeding peanut skins on carcass characteristics
of meat sheep. Association of Research Directors. Atlanta, Georgia. (Abs P-SP-U-22
- Peterson, M., Abdelrahim, G., Khatiwada, J., Vizcarra, J. 2011. Carcass characteristics of wether lambs fed increasing
levels of distillers dried grains. Association of Research Directors. Atlanta, Georgia. (Abs
P-SP-U-24 p 171).
||Animal Bio-Health Terminology
||Animal Biosecurity & Diseases
||Monogastric Animal Mgt.
||Ruminant Animal Mgt.
||Animal Health Internship
| FAS 504
|| Animal Hygiene & Parasitology
| FAS 632
|| Monogastric Nutrition
In order to view PDF files on your computer, you must have a PDF reader program installed.
If you do not already have such a reader, you can download a free reader at Adobe's
website: Download Adobe Acrobat Reader Software