Animal Nutrition and Metabolism
We focus on development of dietary supplementations strategies that improve the use of grains and forages by ruminant animals; evaluating feed intake and utilization of grain-based diets in ruminants; Evaluating utilization of alternative feed ingredients in ruminants; and the development of new feed products and feeding programs. Our current research focus on evaluating silvopasture systems for sustainable production of meat sheep (Ovis aries) in a loblolly pine (Pinus taeda, L.) plantation in order to increase productivity and profitability on small and medium sized limited resource farms in the southeastern United States.
Gamal Eden Abdelrahim
Professor of Animal Bio-Health Sciences
Contact │ CV
- Stone, Aleta R.; Gurung, Nar; Solaiman, Sandra G.; Min, Byeng R.; Abdelrahim; Kumi, Anthony S.; and McElhenney, Wendell H. (2016) "Fatty Acid Composition of Growing Kiko X Spanish Crossbred Intact Male Goats Fed Varying Levels of Peanut Skins," Professional Agricultural Workers Journal: Vol. 3: No. 2, 4.
- Abdelrahim G., J. Khatiwada, N. K. Gurung (2014) Effects of Dried Distillers Grains with Solubles on Performance and Carcass Characteristics of Lamb. Journal of Animal Research and Technology 1 (2): 25–30. DOI: 10.5147/jart.2014.0203.
- Abdelrahim, G., Khatiwada, D. Rankins, N. Gurung, and A. Gueye (2012a) Influence of Feeding Peanut Skins on Performance of Gulf Coast Ewe Lambs. Journal of Animal Research and Technology 1 (2): 20–24. DOI: 10.5147/jpgs.2012.0107.
- Abdelrahim, G., Khatiwada, and A. Gueye (2012b) Effect of dietary supplementation of ferrous sulfate on performance and carcass characteristics of meat sheep. Journal of Animal Research and Technology 1 (1): 7–12. DOI: 10.5147/jart.2012.0105.
- Abdelrahim, G., R. C. Richardson, and A. Gueye (2012) Impact of Ergot Infested Sorghum on the Reproductive Performance of Sows. Journal of Animal Research and Technology 1 (1): 1–6. DOI: 10.5147/jart.2012.0104.
- Gurung, N. K., S. G. Solaiman, D. L. Rankins, Jr., A.L. Kendricks, Abdelrahim, and W. H. McElhenny (2012) The effects of distillers dried grains with solubles on apparent nutrient digestibility and passage kinetics of Boer×Spanish castrated male goats. Journal of Applied Animal Research. DOI: 10.1080/09712119.2011.640205.
- Stone, A., N. Gurung, S. Solaiman, D. Rankins, Jr., Abdelrahim, and W. McElhenney. 2009. Effects of feeding peanut skins on growth performance and carcass traits of Kiko × Spanish\ growing male goat kids. J. Anim. Sci. Vol. 87, E-Suppl. 2/J. Dairy Sci. Vol. 92, E-Suppl. 1. 484.
- Abdelrahim, G., C. Melton, V. Allen, and K. R. Pond (2008) Sorghum Silage Digestibility in Sheep. Proceedings of the Western Section of the American Society of Animal Science 59:327-330.
- Bramble, T. C., G. V. Pollard, K. F. Wilson, B. S. Clyburn, A. Gueye, M. A. Johnson, Abdelrahim, C. R. Richardson, and A. J. Mjolsness (2002) Jerusalem artichoke (Helianthus tuberosus) flour as a partial starch replacement for growing beef steers. Department of Animal Science and Food Technology Technical Report. Texas Tech University.
- Pond, K. R., and Abdelrahim. Models for Describing the Flow of Digesta and Fluids in Camel (1998) Proceeding of the Third Annual Meeting of Camel Production. Al-Ain, United Arab Emirates. May 2-3, 1998.
- Abdelrahim G., J. Khatiwada, A. Gueye (2011) Effect of dietary supplementation of ferrous sulfate on performance and carcass characteristics of meat sheep. J. Anim. Sci. Vol. 90, Suppl. 3/J. Dairy Sci. Vol. 95, Suppl. 2.
- Vizcarra, A., Wright, H., Shackelford, L., Abdelrahim, G., Washington, D., Vizcarra, J. 2011. Orexigenic Effects of Anti-Ghrelin Antibodies in Broad-Breasted White Turkeys. Association of Research Directors. Atlanta, Georgia. (Abs P-SP-U-30 p 173).
- Wright, H., Vizcarra, A., Shackelford, L., Abdelrahim, G., Vizcarra, J. 2011. The Effect of Passive Immunization Against Ghrelin on Animal Behavior. Association of Research Directors.Atlanta, Georgia. (Abs P-SP-U-34 p 174).
- Matthews, J., Abdelrahim, G., Khatiwada, J., Vizcarra, J. 2011. Impact of feeding peanut skins on carcass characteristics of meat sheep. Association of Research Directors. Atlanta, Georgia. (Abs P-SP-U-22 p 170).
- Peterson, M., Abdelrahim, G., Khatiwada, J., Vizcarra, J. 2011. Carcass characteristics of wether lambs fed increasing levels of distillers dried grains. Association of Research Directors. Atlanta, Georgia. (Abs P-SP-U-24 p 171).