The Food Engineering Laboratory provides a platform for conducting research on the
application of novel technologies to enhance food quality and safety. This includes
food structure, thermo-physical and rheological properties of food, heat and mass
transfer, packaging, bioprocess optimization, postharvest, emerging technologies (Pulsed
Electric Field (PEF), Pulsed Ultraviolet (UV) irradiation application in food processing,
and extraction of bioactive components using supercritical fluid technology to enhance
nutritional quality of foods.
- Kassama, L.S and Liu, L. 2017. In Vitro Modeling of the Gastrointestinal Tract: Significance in Food and Nutritional Research
and Health Implications. Food & Nutrition Journal, 2017(7):131-136.
- Kassama, L.S. and Misir, J. 2017. Physicochemical Properties and Control Release of Aloe Vera (Aloe barbadensis Miller)
Bioactive Loaded Poly (Lactic Co-Glycolide Acid) Synthesized Nanoparticles. Advances in Chemical Engineering and Science, 7(4): 333-348.
- Kassama, L.S. Kuponiyi, A.J. & Kukhtareva, T. 2017. Effect of Laser Ablation on the Physicochemical Properties of Microwave-Assisted Synthesized
AgNP in Aloe Vera (Aloe barbadensis) Extract. Advances in Chemical Engineering and Science, 7: 393-407.
- Kassama, L.S. and Ngadi, M.O. 2017. Modeling Moisture Diffusivity in Deboned Chicken Breast during Deep-Fat Frying, Food & Nutrition Journal, 2017(6):127-133.
- Kassama, L.S. and Ngadi M.O. 2016. Shrinkage and Density Change of Chicken Meat during Deep-fat
Frying. Food and Nutrition Sciences, 7(10):895-905.
- Kassama, L.S. and Ngadi M.O. 2016. Relationship between Oil Uptake and Moisture Loss during
Deep Fat Frying Of Chicken Breast Meat. Advances in Chemical Engineering and Science, 6 (7): 324-334.
- Porto-Fett, A.C.S, Oliver S, Daniel N, Shoyer. B.A, Stahler, L.J., Shane, L.E., Kassama, L.S., Jackson-Davis, A. and Luchansky, J.B. 2016. The effect of deep frying or conventional
oven cooking on inactivation of Shiga toxin-producing cells of Escherichia coli (STEC) in meatballs. Journal of Food Protection, 79(5): 723-731.
- Kassama, L.S. T. Sanusi. 2015. Raman spectroscopy identification of phytic acid in tempered
canned red kidney beans (Phaseolus vulgaris). Journal of Agricultural Engineering, 2 (1): 1-6.
- Kassama, L.S, Kuponiyi, A.J.& Kukhtareva, T. 2015. Comparative Effects of Aloe Vera (Aloe barbadensis) extracts on the Physicochemical Properties and Stability of Silver Nanoparticles.
American International Journal of Contemporary Research, 5(2): 30-39.
- Kassama, L.S, Kukhtareva, T, Kukhtarev, N., & Kuponiyi, A.J. 2015. Rapid Laser-assisted
Nanosizing Noble Silver Nanoparticles in Plant Extracts and Physiochemical Characterization.
American International Journal of Contemporary Research, 5(2): 8-18.
- Kuponiyi, A.J., Kassama, L.S. and Kukhtareva, T. 2014. Physicochemical Characterization of Silver nanoparticles
synthesize using Aloe Vera (Aloe barbadensis). SPIE NanoScience & Engineering. 91710V-1-12.