Move-In Day 2019
Are you ready to Live the Bulldog Life in a dynamic learning environment? We are looking
forward to your arrival on “The Hill!” Please read information below to ensure a smooth
move-in day experience.
- Move In Schedule
Fall 2019 Move-In Information
Are you ready to Live the Bulldog Life in a dynamic learning environment? We are looking forward to your arrival on “The Hill!” Please read information below to ensure a smooth move-in day experience. Note: Residential Life and Housing cannot accommodate requests for housing during this time. If you are a returning student desiring to live on campus, you may add yourself to the Priority Consideration List (Wait List) through your Self-Service Banner account.
Thursday, August 8, 2019 – Report to the Student Health and Wellness Center to check-in, 7:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
If you cannot arrive on the date designated for your residence hall below, please move-in on the weekend.
- Foster East and West Complex (1st and 2nd Floors, only)
- Stephens Hall
- Morris Hall
- Hopkins Hall
- Thigpen Hall
Friday, August 9, 2019 – Report to the Student Health and Wellness Center to check-in, 7:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Foster East and West Complex (3rd, 4th, and 5th Floors)
- Palmer Hall
- Terry Hall
- Knight Complex, West (Freshmen Assignments Only)
After-hours arrival; students should check-into their assigned halls.
Saturday, August 10, 2019, and Sunday, August 11, 2019 - Returning Students with an assignment, only. Check-in at assigned Residence Hall, beginning at 10:00 am and ending at 5pm.
- Normal Hills (Check-in at the Wellness Center, 10am-5pm)
- Knight Complex
- Student Residence Hall
Normal Hills late arrivals (after 5pm) should check-in the next day, Sunday, August 11th
Sunday, August 11, 2019 - Graduate Students with an assignment, only. Check-in at The Wellness Center Gym Area, beginning at 10:00 am and ending at 5pm.
- Normal Hills (Check-in at the Wellness Center, 10am-5pm)
Normal Hills late arrivals (after 5pm) should check-in the next day, Monday, August 12th
Note: If you fail to claim your room within 48-hours of designated move-in date, Residential Life and Housing will cancel your assignment. Email Residential Life and Housing (email@example.com) if you have an emergency or plan to arrive later than Move-In Day weekend. Only send an e-mail if you need to arrive later than August 13th. Be sure to include your name, contact number, A-number, building, and room number in your email. The subject line should read: NOTICE OF LATE ARRIVAL.
Driving Directions and Parking
Campus Map/Legend found here: https://www.aamu.edu/information/pages/campusmap.aspx
Residents checking in on August 8th and August 9th must report to Student Health and Wellness Center before going to his/her assigned residence hall. Residents will receive move-in day parking pass, room key, and pertinent forms while at Student Health and Wellness Center.
All move-in day traffic on August 8th and August 9th will enter campus through the gate at Chase Road and Buchanan Way (located east of Councill Blvd near Foster Complex).
Designated overflow parking areas:
- Patton Hall (Commuter Lot) assessable from Meridian Street
- Elmore Gymnasium Lot
- Grayson Hall Lot
- School of Business Gravel Lot
- Move-In day Expectations
Move-In Day is a busy time for everyone, as hundreds of students will be arriving at Alabama A&M University to begin the 2019-2020 academic year. To make the Move-In process run as smoothly as possible, we ask that you review the following information prior to arriving on campus:
- Please abide by your scheduled Move-In time. All students have been assigned a specific Move-In date to prevent traffic jams and long elevator waits. If you arrive outside of your assigned Move-In period, you will be directed to a holding area where you will be required to wait until conditions allow you to proceed.
- Only personal vehicles will be allowed through the Move-In process. Moving trucks and trailers are not permitted. Keep in mind that only two vehicles per student will be allowed into the residence hall unloading zone on Move-In Day.
- Upon checking in at the Wellness Center, you will receive your parking pass to be placed in the driver’s side of the front windshield. This parking pass is required to begin unloading at your residence hall.
- When arriving at the residence hall, the driver must remain in the vehicle. Volunteers will be available to assist the resident and other passengers with unloading onto carts. The driver will be directed to relocate vehicle(s) to designated parking areas while volunteers escort resident to assigned room. There, volunteers will unload the carts and return to the loading zone to assist other residents with the Move-In process.
- The Bulldog Transit System (BTS) will shuttle passengers from designated parking areas to the residence halls. Residents may not bring furniture from home.
- Please make every effort to pack your belongings into easily transportable containers (suitcases, moving boxes, etc.) as this will enable the Move-In staff to efficiently handle your belongings.
- We ask that you please label your belongings with your last name and room number as an added measure of security (painter’s tape works well). In you are assigned to Foster Complex, please also designate East or West. No assistance with unpacking, arranging furnishings, etc. will be provided by volunteers in individual rooms under any circumstances.
- Remember to wear comfortable clothing and closed-toe shoes!
- Tips for Packing
Space in the residence halls is relatively limited, and we suggest packing lightly and picking up additional items at a later time.
Label all items with your name, building, room number and phone number.
Fold hanging clothes and bring hangers separately. Clothes do not fit well on the moving carts and may get dirty on Move-In Day.
Leave winter clothes at home. Due to limited storage space, consider exchanging summer clothes for winter clothes during trips home.Back to Top
- Settling In
How to Hang Items in Your Room
You may only use 3M Command Strips to hang items on walls, or furniture. Nails or push pins are prohibited.
You are not permitted to use wall mount systems for flat screen televisions in any Residence Hall.
Setting up Your Bed
Beds adjust up to approximately 30” from the floor in the following Residence Halls: Stephens, Morris, Terry, Palmer, and in select rooms in Normal Hills.
Height-adjustable beds should be adjusted by Hall Staff, only. Trying to do this yourself may result in a damage charge. Contact your Hall Director to request a change in the height of your bed.
Do Not use concrete blocks to heighten your bed. They will be removed and a fine may be imposed.Back to Top
- After Settling In
After you finish unpacking and settling into your room, there are several things to do with your family or your roommates to get acquainted with Huntsville. Here are some ideas:
Go grocery shopping after moving in. This cuts down on perishables packed in your vehicle. (NOTE: We recommend shopping after 6 pm. Due to traffic concerns, the unloading zones at each building will continue to be reserved for those who must still check in and unload. However, BTS will be available to transport you and your items from other designated parking areas.)
Check out the University’s Welcome Week events.
Head out for dinner with your new roommates or for a send-off dinner with your family.
Introduce yourself to your Resident Advisor and find out when your first floor meeting will happen. This provides you more information about your community and a chance to meet your neighbors!
Walk through your class schedule to cut down on confusion when classes start.
Visit the Student Wellness Center for a swim or workout. Your membership is free!
For more information about exploring Huntsville, go to http://www.huntsville.org for area events and attractions.Back to Top
- Shopping Near Campus and Around Huntsville