AAMU COVID-19 Relief
AAMU-Cares grants for COVID-19-related relief are intended to help Alabama A&M employees recover from "reasonable and necessary" expenses directly attributable to the coronavirus pandemic and the requirement of teleworking. Financial grants do not need to be repaid and are not taxable, since COVID-19 is a federally declared disaster by the President, and the payments are therefore considered “qualified disaster relief payments” under section 139 of the Internal Revenue Code.
While proof of actual expenses will not be required in order for your application to be considered, you must certify that expenses were actually incurred. You may not be reimbursed for home office furniture and home utilities.
Reimbursement will be processed for up to $1,500 per employee. Eligible expenses must have been incurred on or after March 13, 2020. An individual must be active AAMU employee or on approved Leave of Absence status as of April 30,2021.
Applicant Eligibility Guidelines
- Eligibility: AAMU faculty, staff, regardless of %FTE.
- Maximum Benefit: $1,500 (non-taxable*)
- Frequency: One grant per applicant.
- Purpose:To help AAMU employees recover from “reasonable and necessary” expenses directly attributable to the coronavirus pandemic.
- Exclusions: Grants cannot be given for AAMU wage replacement (reduced hours, elimination of overtime), expenses that will be covered by insurance or other university programs, reimbursement for home office furniture or home utilities will not be considered.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How long will the AAMU COVID-19 Relief Program be available
This is one-time assistance for the period of May 2021 to August 2021.Back to Top
- How will I receive the funds?
Approved funds will be paid by direct deposit if direct deposit has been set up for your regular pay, otherwise a paper check will be mailed to the home address we have on fileBack to Top
- Do I need to submit receipts for expenses incurred?
Receipts/documentation need not be submitted.Back to Top
- Are there other types of relief available to employees?
AAMU currently does not have any additional programs to provide assistanceBack to Top
- What if my expenses are more than $1,500?
Unfortunately, the AAMU can only reimbursement employees for the maximum benefit of $1,500Back to Top