Career Development Services (CDS) Center educates and assists students and alumni in exploring, clarifying, evaluating and implementing career and employment decisions. The CDS Center offers a variety of resources to assist students in career preparation activities. Career Counselors supply guidance on preparation steps, experiences and connections needed to be competitive in the workplace.
Career Counselors will
- Assist in identifying career paths by engaging in assessments to discover skills, interests and personality
- Critique and edit job search correspondence (resumes/cover letters)
- Provide advice for securing experience (volunteer/internship/research) to help clarify and build qualifications for careers upon graduation
- Assist with preparing for interviews
Career Counseling by Career Community
Career Counselors advise by Career Communities. Career Communities allows students in similar career paths to explore, make connections and launch a career. Communities provide information, opportunities for exploration and experience, and mutual support in a variety of ways. Through these communities, students cultivate professional skills with guidance from career counselors, industry experts, alumni, faculty and employers in their chosen field of interest.
- AGRICULTURE, FOOD, FAMILY & HEALTH SCIENCES
Careers in this community focus on improving lives by applying research and technology to fieldwork, clinical environments and lab functions. This community also includes those interested in public health and policy.
- Animal Bio-Health Sciences
- Environmental Science
- Family & Consumer Sciences
- Food Science
- Plant & Soil Science
- Plant Biotechnology
- PUBLIC POLICY, SOCIAL IMPACT & PROTECTIVE SERVICES
Careers in this community focus on those interested in helping and advocating for others, solving societal issues, creating policy and serving in government.
- Criminal Justice
- Liberal Studies
- Political Science
- Social Work
- Urban & Regional Planning
- BUSINESS, COMMUNICATIONS, SPORT MANAGEMENT & ART
Careers in this community focus on creative design, leading people and projects and aiding in fiscal management.
- Logistics & Supply Chain Management
- Sport Management
- ENGINEERING, TECHNOLOGY & PHYSICAL SCIENCES
Careers in this community focus on the application of science, technology, engineering and math in order to invent, design, build and improve.
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science
- Construction Management
- Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Systems & Materiel Engineering
Please note: The CDS staff cannot assist with course selection or other academic advising issues. For these needs, please see an academic advisor.
Contact Us: Call the main number (256) 372-5692 with questions.