Skip to content

Grade Change Policies and Procedures

Missing Grades

A missing grade must be received in the Office of the Registrar within 45 days immediately following the grading period. All missing grades must be reported on a Missing Grade Form.

Grade Changes

All course final grades except “I” grades are intended to be permanent. It is expected that faculty will report final grades as accurately and precisely as the evaluation of the students achievement that the grading system will permit.

It is considered the faculty’s direct and personal responsibility to ensure that grades are fair and reported correctly the first time. Final grades cannot be improved by ‘make-up’ work, after the end of the term.

If an error occurs in the calculation or recording of a grade, it can be corrected using the following procedures:

  1. The faculty of record will complete the Change of Grade Form, which must include:
    • The student’s name, student number, course designation by title and number, semester, and change desired.
    • A statement unequivocally identifying the person who made the error, and explaining the nature of the error.
    • Documentation of the old grade calculation and computation of the new grade must be attached.
    • If the new calculation is based on information that was omitted or incorrectly assessed, these data must be attached to the change of grade form.

  2. The form must bear the endorsement of the instructor, department chairperson, and dean, and it must be addressed to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs.

  3. Requests for “I” grade changes may be made by faculty members directly to the Office of the Registrar on forms provided for that purpose.

  4. Requests for grade corrections must be submitted to the Office of the Registrar by the end of the next semester after the incorrect grade was submitted.

Incomplete Grades

An “I” grade is intended to be only an interim course mark. It is to be used only if a student has satisfactorily (hereby defined as a C average or better) completed at least 75% of the course requirements, and there is an excusable reason for the student to not have completed all requirements prior to grade reporting time. With the awarding of the “I” the instructor must include information on the Grade Reporting Form as to the specific requirements for changing the “I” to a permanent grade.

Students may obtain credit for courses in which their grades are “incomplete” only by completing the work of the course in a satisfactory manner. This must be done within one year of the date the “I” is awarded or the end of the next term that course is offered. If this is not done, the grade in the course automatically becomes a failure (“F”).

The grade of “I” shall be neutral in the calculation of the grade point average. A grade of “I” must be changed to a permanent grade by the instructor within the time limit specified by submitting the proper Incomplete Grade Report Form to the Office of the Registrar. Delinquent Incomplete Grade Report Forms will not be requested or processed without the approval of the Vice President for Academic Affairs. Incomplete grades for graduating seniors must be removed by October 1 for December graduates, April 1 for May, and June 15 for summer graduates.