Skip to content

Graduate Studies Completion Process

Graduate Completion Image


The Registrar's Office, in conjunction with the Office of Graduate Studies, has developed a process to submit an application to graduate. Students who anticipate the completion of their degree requirements must now submit an application to graduate via Alabama A&M Self-Service Banner.

The Banner Self-Service portal to submit your application for SPRING 2024 is now CLOSED.

  1. Log into Banner.
  2. Click on the "Student" tab.
  3. Click "Apply to Graduate."

(Please note that you must complete your “Final Program of Study” to the Office of Graduate Studies - to confirm clearance)


After you submit your application for Graduation, you will need to follow instructions from the Office of the Registrar


  • What should I expect after I submit my application for graduation?

    At the close of the submission process, the Registrar's Office will send to each chairperson a listing of their students to approve. Once the department has checked to ensure that the student has met the requirements for graduation in accordance with catalog requirements, it may approve the student on the list from the Registrar's Office

    Back to Top
  • Do I still have to submit my Program of Study?

    Yes. At this time, Programs of Study will still have to be submitted to Graduate Studies. It must contain the following signatures: yours, advisor, chairperson and dean.

    Back to Top
  • Will the graduation fee be applied to my account?

    Yes. The non-refundable graduation fee will post to your account once you submit your graduation application.

    Back to Top
  • If I drop a course will it be held against me?

    If a course that one drops is listed on the Program of Study, we would look for a passing grade. If it is a course that is not needed, then a revised Program of Study will be required.

    Back to Top
  • What do I do if I am transferring courses for use in my program?

    The course(s) must be indicated on a Transfer Credit Form. Click here for the Transfer Credit Form

    Submit an original transcript for the courses. Only course(s) for which a grade of “A” or “B” can be transferred.

    Use a Course Substitution Form to identify which course(s) are being used to substitute and course description(s). Click here for the Course Substitution Form

    Back to Top
  • Do graduate students receive Honor Cords?

    No. Only undergraduate student receive honor cords. All graduate students are expected to maintain 3.0 GPA.

    Back to Top
  • Where can the Graduate Clearance Screen be found?

    On the Office of the Registrar’s website. See the link below:

    Click here for the Graduation Clearance Screen

    *To log onto the Graduation Clearance Screen, use your Banner# and Password.

    Back to Top
  • How will I receive my diploma?

    Only, graduate students who have received clearance in ALL areas will have their diplomas mailed to them


    Academic Clearance

    Business Office Clearance

    Financial Aid Clearance

    Back to Top
  • How do I order my cap and gown?

    How to Order your Cap & Gown with Herff Jones

    • Visit
    • Click under Cap & Gown, “Order Now”
    • Choose Your Degree and click "Continue"
    • Across the top in blue, click on “Cap and Gown”.
    • Click “Graduation Regalia” this will be listed for $0.00.
    • Fill out the required information and select, “Add to Cart”.
    • Click, “Proceed to Check Out” twice.
    • Fill out the required information
    • In the address box, enter the preferred mailing address to receive your cap and gown. Please note, someone must be present to receive your package upon delivery. Items will ship approximately three weeks after order is received.
    • Click, “Continue”.
    • “Check” click here if your shipping address is the same as your billing address.
    • Total for the cap and Gown should be $0.00.
    • Click “Continue.
    • “Confirm” your address.
    • Click “Continue”.
    • Review your order.
    • Click “Complete Order”.
    • Screenshot the order confirmation for your record
    • You should receive a confirmation email with your order information.
    Back to Top
  • What name will appear on my diploma?
    Only your full legal name as it appears at the time of application on the Banner System can be printed on your diploma. To change your legal name, contact the Office of the RegistrarBack to Top
  • What ways can I support the University as a new Alum?

    Congratulations from the Office of Alumni Affairs.
    Check out this message from the Director!

    As you begin your journey as a New Alum of Alabama A&M University. There are two ways you can support your beloved Alma Mater:

    1. “Pay It Forward” Senior Class Gift is a tradition of giving that connects you, our newest alumni, to the next generation of students who will follow in your footsteps. Members of the senior class who support the “Pay It Forward” Class Gift will be recognized for their generosity! By making a gift of $20.20, you will receive a special giving cord to wear at Commencement to symbolize your gift to future Bulldogs. Visit the webpage for more details.

    2. Stay connected with AAMU and other fellow alumni by getting involved with the Alumni Association. The purpose of the Association is to provide a medium where alumni and friends can work to advance the growth and development of Alabama A&M University. As a new graduate of Alabama A&M University you will receive the 1st year of membership complimentary. Visit the Alumni Association Website for more information.
    Back to Top

In order to view PDF files on your computer, you must have a PDF reader program installed. If you do not already have such a reader, you can download a free reader at Adobe's website: Download Adobe Acrobat Reader Software