AAMU Names Auditorium in Honor of Music Icons
Numerous Tributes Given to The Bradfords
To pay tribute to a husband and wife duo who remain synonymous with choral music and music education, Alabama A&M University held a ribbon cutting ceremony for a newly renovated auditorium on Thursday, November 18. PHOTOS
The Dr. Henry and Nell Lane Bradford Auditorium is located in Buchanan Hall (formerly Bibb Graves) and recaptures hundreds of fond memories for alumni taught and mentored by Dr. Henry Bradford, Jr., and Mrs. Nell Lane Bradford.
The late Dr. Bradford, a native of New Orleans, La., served as professor and chair of the Department of Music Education and University Chaplain at AAMU for four decades. His wife, Nell, was born in Sand Springs, Okla., and served as associate professor of and director of the University Choir for more than 40 years. She warmly received numerous accolades throughout the ceremony.
Dr. Jeanette Jones, chair of AAMU's Naming Committee, president of the Faculty Senate, and University Distinguished Professor, presided over the ceremony, which included several tributes and musical performances. Among the program participants were: AAMU President Andrew Hugine, Jr.; Dr. Horace Carney, director, AAMU Choir; Pastor Mitchell Walker, Church Street Cumberland Presbyterian Church in America; AAMU Trumpet Ensemble - Matthew Price, William Seawright and Antar Fierce; Alumni Affairs Director Emeritus Georgia S. Valrie; Dr. Barbara Anthony, Class of 1958; Tommie Lockhart, Class of 1963; the Alpha Ensemble; and Andrea Bradford, daughter of the Bradfords.
AAMU trustee Chris Robinson, former AAMU President Carl Harris Marbury; Demetra Gilmore, Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc.; and Rev. Michael Rice, Class of 1977, also provided remarks.